Is Indie a roo?!

JRabbit90

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 6, 2015
Bought 16 RIR pullets from eFowl and I think my favorite pullet (Indie) is a roo? He/she is 5 weeks old. All of the girls have small combs and are still yellow, but Indie has the most pronounced red comb. What do you guys think? Or is too early to start assuming. Thanks!

5 weeks is very early to tell but if it's the same breed as the others but distinctly different there is a pretty good chance yes.

If it's a different breed then don't give up all hope but be prepared for it. I've asked sex 3 times here at that age and 3 times everyone got it wrong ;-)

5 weeks is very early to tell but if it's the same breed as the others but distinctly different there is a pretty good chance yes.

If it's a different breed then don't give up all hope but be prepared for it. I've asked sex 3 times here at that age and 3 times everyone got it wrong ;-)

I hope so lol. It's just weird, because Indie is pretty aggressive and the only one growing a waddle so far. I'm not sure if he/she is growing faster than the others or the fact that he's just a rooster
1f602.png

welcome-byc.gif

Straight combed birds are, well, pretty straight forward with sexing. Especially when they announce themselves loud and proud like this little guy. That's a cockerel, there's just not going to be a pullet with that much size and color to the comb at this age, even if it were a huge combed breed like a leghorn.

Ok, thanks for the responses guys! We're thinking about keeping him even if he ends up being a rooster. Hopefully, he won't be too aggressive towards us. I'll post an updated picture of him in a couple of months and let you guys know if he ends up being a rooster or not. I've always loved these kinds of guessing threads, but I never thought I'd be someone to post one till now lol.

I am so glad to see all these messages. My five girls ended up 4+1. We heard his/her call this morning and we will have to give him up. Neighbors have no issues with chicks but asked us to not have roosters. I know this all seems pretty obvious but what I know about chickens I'm learning here. And, I just learned I have a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom