Is Indie a roo?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JRabbit90, Nov 7, 2015.

1. JRabbit90

JRabbit90 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2015
    Bought 16 RIR pullets from eFowl and I think my favorite pullet (Indie) is a roo? He/she is 5 weeks old. All of the girls have small combs and are still yellow, but Indie has the most pronounced red comb. What do you guys think? Or is too early to start assuming. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    I'd say rooster

3. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    He looks very roo-like to me also, sorry.

4. JRabbit90

Sep 6, 2015
    Darn. I knew when they gave me a free chick it was too good to be true lol.

5. Casey23

Casey23 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2015
    Indiana
    I'm still new at this, but for a 5 week old I'd have to guess a roo too!!

6. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    5 weeks is very early to tell but if it's the same breed as the others but distinctly different there is a pretty good chance yes.

If it's a different breed then don't give up all hope but be prepared for it. I've asked sex 3 times here at that age and 3 times everyone got it wrong ;-)

7. JRabbit90

Sep 6, 2015

I hope so lol. It's just weird, because Indie is pretty aggressive and the only one growing a waddle so far. I'm not sure if he/she is growing faster than the others or the fact that he's just a rooster [​IMG].

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Straight combed birds are, well, pretty straight forward with sexing. Especially when they announce themselves loud and proud like this little guy. That's a cockerel, there's just not going to be a pullet with that much size and color to the comb at this age, even if it were a huge combed breed like a leghorn.

9. JRabbit90

Sep 6, 2015
    Ok, thanks for the responses guys! We're thinking about keeping him even if he ends up being a rooster. Hopefully, he won't be too aggressive towards us. I'll post an updated picture of him in a couple of months and let you guys know if he ends up being a rooster or not. I've always loved these kinds of guessing threads, but I never thought I'd be someone to post one till now lol.

10. Fivechicks5

Fivechicks5 New Egg

Aug 30, 2015
    I am so glad to see all these messages. My five girls ended up 4+1. We heard his/her call this morning and we will have to give him up. Neighbors have no issues with chicks but asked us to not have roosters. I know this all seems pretty obvious but what I know about chickens I'm learning here. And, I just learned I have a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by