1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is It A Chicken? Guess Someone Wasn't Sure

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Aug 6, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Does this look like a chicken to you? Apparently, the woman who called me today wasn't sure, even with a detailed description of his parentage in the ad on the feed store bulletin board, even with the two pictures of this young cockerel I posted. I was sort of perplexed by the question. He's up on BSA here, but I finally caved and put up an ad at the feed store, though I wasn't sure I wanted someone who didn't have access to the educational aspect of BYC to get Ranger (yes, I know, I know, I have no choice if I can't keep him, but I'm getting attached and he's so sweet-hate to see him mistreated or killed by coons due to bad housing, etc). Guess I left out the fact that he was a chicken in the ad. Need to fix that next time, I suppose. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The conversation:

Lady on phone: You have the free bird? (she may have said "birds", not sure)
    Me: Yes, ma'am.
    Lady: Is it, like, a chicken?
    Me: um, yes, it's a young male chicken.
    Lady: Do you have the hens to go with him? (I said he was "odd man out", no mention of hens or any other birds in the ad)
    Me: No, ma'am, I have only the one bird up for adoption at this time.
    Lady: Oh, okay.

I imagine this is what you Craigslist sellers go through all the time, huh?

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Thats pretty funny... He is a fine looking bird!! Good luck.

3. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    [​IMG] click goes the phone

4. speckledhen

I'm not making fun of her, but that was just the last question I expected to have to answer when I realized why the lady had called.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I have questions, I shall call you with them

No I will just ask here...

About that free bird....what type of parrot is it? How big will it get? Does it like peanuts? How old will it be when it talks? What color eggs will it lay?

[​IMG]

Dingbats are everywhere, I see you have them in Georgia too.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  6. speckledhen

I wonder why she'd call about an animal up for adoption if she didn't even know what it was. [​IMG]

7. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:It's simple: in my pessimistic mind I figure she was thinking that she could get a free bird and then turn around and sell it. Only, she has no idea how hard it is to sell a cross bred rooster... lol

I agree with poster that said "click goes my phone". [​IMG]

8. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Well, to a dummy, he might look kind of unchickenish...

9. If it looks like a chicken, and it sounds like a chicken, and it acts like a chicken, then it's probably a chicken. [​IMG] He's cute. Good luck!
    (i bet it was because of the beard)

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    A very rare and unusual Appalachian Ground Parrot? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by