Is it a playhouse or is it a chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicken Salad, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    Here's the playhouse that my brother gave me to use for my peeps. I'm planning to turn the house 90 degrees on that platform (so the right side window will overlook the porch/run) and also cut down the 4x4's holding it up to 24 or maybe 30 inches. The run will be underneath and also extend out on the "porch" side. The interior shots didn't turn out very well so you don't see the back vented wall. The nest box will be on the wall opposite the human door (not big enough to get into the coop obviously) and I'll cut a chicken door into the window side on the porch. It'll be sited so that the run will be on the north side of the house. I guess I'll take off the slide and the rock wall thingie - although that might be kinda fun really. Other ideas?

I'm beginning to be afraid that you all were right. I've got page after page of drawings of the mods I want to make....it's starting, isn't it? Next thing I'll be burning the dang thing so that I can just go on ahead and make one for about 30 birds, right? IS THERE A CURE? LOL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Shoot! I've already sat here so long my woodstove about went out!)

2. mcfarlandteresa

mcfarlandteresa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    I love it! Wish I had one!! Good luck.[​IMG]

3. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    That will make an adorable charming coop!! Good luck.

4. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it will work out great, although I'd leave it just as tall as it is because a run is much easier to clean when it's human height. Our coop is about three feet above the ground and I can stand up in the run. The girls have no problem going up and down their ramp.

Phyllis

5. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] there is no cure silly [​IMG] My hubby was soo proud if the coop that he built. He did a great job!! But he already started talking about his next one! [​IMG]

6. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I'd leave it tall, too. Man is it going to be cute! I would have died to have something like that to start with. Good luck!

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    That'll work!

The playhouse looks a lot like the one in Dad's backyard. It was built for my daughter who is a Junior in college.

Dad's planning on turning it into a coop next Spring. He hasn't had chickens for about 10 years now but must still be suffering from withdrawl. Dad will be 91 by the time his chickens show up. So you see, Jenna, there really, really is no cure [​IMG]!

Steve

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  8. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    [​IMG] I think your chickens will love the slide and rock climbing wall. Maybe you could set up the nest boxes so the egg roll down the slide. [​IMG] Just kidding, thats a great coop, I am jealous.

9. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dearest Chicken Salad.......................there is no cure.[​IMG]

(Altho more chickens can help.....[​IMG])

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] WOW!!! that will make a terrific coop. Before I covered my run I had some milk crates stacked up next to it and the darn chickens would get up on the milk crates and jump over the fence. They will get up on anything they can. I moved the milk crates and covered their run. I fenced in a nice sized yard for them to free range. Right now part of the corn field is fenced in for them.
    Please post some progress pics. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by