Is it a stag or a hen?

HeadHunter89

Hatching
Mar 15, 2019
Okay so i got recently aquired a brown red from a friend of mine, he was second on the pecking order out of two stags the rest are pullets. (So he was always smaller than the main stag but bigger than the pullets) I took him home before his 4 months, somewhere around 2 or 2 1/2 months old. They all had the same coloration in feather (They all looked like a smaller version of a "brown red" hen gamefowl). Now his stag has thicker legs more red coloration on his saddler and wing fethers, while mine has just started growing his saddle feathers.(same color as his much bigger brother) he also started growing two tail feathers coloration between blue and green that his brother doesn't have. Another thing i noticed is that his comb size is the same as his sisters ( the pullets) they are now exatly 4 months old but my "stag" looks more like one of his pullets than a cockerel. I am feeding the same feed and vitamins as my friend did in the same quantities as he did. And this is where the old question leads is my chick a pullet or a stag? Pictures available on request.

15526700392006779932353155382065.jpg

If it has hair, hooves and an impressive rack of horns on it's head (like the one on the wall) then it's a stag. If it is feathers, has talons and lays eggs, it is a hen. If it has the above but crows instead of lays it might be a rooster. ;)
Nope. It’s actually called a *stag*

Back
Top Bottom