Is it always possible to tell by the shape of their tails whether roo or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Vickilynn45, May 19, 2012.

1. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Songster

Apr 16, 2012
    I have six 5 week old chicks. Four have tails shaped like praying hands- long and V-shaped. Then I have an EE with a short tail, but s/he doesn't stand upright like a rooster might- she's kind of barrel shaped lol. Then I have a Barred Rock that I go back and forth on. S/he stands more upright, and developed a comb earlier, and has shorter tail feathers too. But the comb isn't really getting any redder yet- sort of a fleshy pinky color. S/he also has been the last to lose the neck feathers. But the Barred Rock isn't as light as most roo's are at five weeks. I will have to post some photos. But my main ? is whether or not you can always tell by the tail?

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. lsg1007

lsg1007 Songster

Dec 2, 2009
    Missouri
    The tails depend on breed. Some breeds have longer (like leghorns) and others have shorter tails. Also I have one EE with a nice long tail, which I suspect the other would have had if the first had not ripped out all her tail feathers. Now she just has a short little tail sprout.

3. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Songster

Apr 16, 2012
    Thanks. :) I should probably take some photos to post so everyone can make a judgement from that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: