Is it at all possible for production red to go broody?

wullus

Chirping
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Queensland, Australia
I got a few chooks and a rooster, and I want them to breed. However, I only have production reds (or red star, I'm not sure)... I'm wondering if I stop collecting eggs, is there any chance of them going broody? Thanks

EDIT: Also, I just read a thing online that says if you do get a red star to go broody and hatch some baby chicks, apparently they wont have "the laying abilities of their parent's because they're a hybrid" or something along those lines. Why would this be, if it's true?

Last edited:
One of my best broodys was a Gold Comet.She would have 2-3 hatches a year.
She would pick my building though to brood in.Ol Tippy she had a white tip on her tail. I thought she went in one night and closed the door. Coon got her that night.

Any chicken can go broody. Some are just more likely than others.

As for the hybrid part: The reason they don't breed true is because they are only 1st generation hybrids. No one has done selective breeding to breed out unwanted characteristics. They have simply been crossed 1 time to produce a baby that is known to have the desired qualities. When these babies are re-crossed they may or may not inherit that original dominant trait that was desirable in the 1st crossing. You can breed them, but not all will be fabulous layers.

Does this help?

They genetics corporations do indeed make every attempt to breed out broodiness, as no commercial laying house has any use for the trait. Still, some birds do. Sometimes nature's instinct overcomes. It is rare however, and no one should plan on that rare event from their red laying hens.

The zip of the initial hybrid is indeed weakened in subsequent generations and both size and number of eggs decreases slightly. That said, the offspring are indeed chickens and often, there are quite likeable birds that result.

We've bred three generations so far, just to see what would become of the hybrid in ongoing generations.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/660815/breeding-sex-links-third-generation

Last edited:
Any chicken can go broody. Some are just more likely than others.

As for the hybrid part: The reason they don't breed true is because they are only 1st generation hybrids. No one has done selective breeding to breed out unwanted characteristics. They have simply been crossed 1 time to produce a baby that is known to have the desired qualities. When these babies are re-crossed they may or may not inherit that original dominant trait that was desirable in the 1st crossing. You can breed them, but not all will be fabulous layers.

Does this help?

Honestly... I think I am more confused than before sorry... I'm still new to this, and I'm not sure exactly what you mean. What is 'selective breeding'? What is a 'hybrid'? What is the 'original dominant trait'? Sorry, these are probably quite obvious, but I'm usually oblivious to the obvious :)

Honestly... I think I am more confused than before sorry... I'm still new to this, and I'm not sure exactly what you mean. What is 'selective breeding'? What is a 'hybrid'? What is the 'original dominant trait'? Sorry, these are probably quite obvious, but I'm usually oblivious to the obvious :)
OK...selective breeding is using only the birds who have the qualities you want.
Hybrid is a cross of 2 or more pure breeds.
Original dominant trait is that original characteristic you were trying to breed selectively to get

In essence, when you breed a "hybrid layer" (Production Red, Red Star, ISA Brown, Black Star, etc.) you may or may not get the "good" qualities that you were looking for.

Does this help?

They genetics corporations do indeed make every attempt to breed out broodiness, as no commercial laying house has any use for the trait. Still, some birds do. Sometimes nature's instinct overcomes. It is rare however, and no one should plan on that rare event from their red laying hens.

The zip of the initial hybrid is indeed weakened in subsequent generations and both size and number of eggs decreases slightly. That said, the offspring are indeed chickens and often, there are quite likeable birds that result.

We've bred three generations so far, just to see what would become of the hybrid in ongoing generations.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/660815/breeding-sex-links-third-generation
Fred...I checked out your thread. Do you ever sell hatching eggs from your F3 ISA's? I'd love to get my hands on some of those gorgeous birds
fl.gif

OK...selective breeding is using only the birds who have the qualities you want.
Hybrid is a cross of 2 or more pure breeds.
Original dominant trait is that original characteristic you were trying to breed selectively to get

In essence, when you breed a "hybrid layer" (Production Red, Red Star, ISA Brown, Black Star, etc.) you may or may not get the "good" qualities that you were looking for.

Does this help?

So do you mean that whoever incubated/hatched the little chicks cross-breed them predominantly for this "original domain trait" (eg. egg-laying), and then this trait is lost when they reproduce (or not as "good" anyway?) I think I understand if that's what you mean. So that means they won't lay eggs as much as their parents? Will they have a higher chance of turning broody than their parents? Thanks :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom