is it better to put coop near tall trees or in the open?

loriamarosa

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
We are in the process of moving to a more rural area. Right now our two chickens free range in the day time and have been totally safe in our suburban back yard. Our new home has tall trees on the west side, and an open area along the north. The perimeter of our new yard is fenced. We are mostly wondering about birds of prey and trying to make it more difficult for them. Any ideas? We want to keep free ranging our chickens. We have 2 dogs that will help watch over the chickens in the daytime, too. Do areas for the chickens to take cover help (like bushes)? Would it be best to locate the coop and run (completely fenced even on top) under the tall trees on the west or more out in the open towards the north? Thanks!

I would go with the tree area, for the shade and weather protection. Out in the open is often windy, too hot or too cold and chickens just seem to like trees. My coop in in a small orchard, so the birds get the fallen fruit and more importantly, the bugs. It works well for us. Good luck with your new place and congratulations on moving out into the country. HenZ

Open during winter to provide warmth and under tree to provide shade during summer. Same location can realize both options when taking into account angle of sun as seasons progress.

Heat is handily biggest stressor for my confined birds, especially when producing eggs.

Back
Top Bottom