Is it better to....

I think it depends on what you mean by fight it out.... certainly you don't want any damage done, so if they are staring each other down and hopping on each other, etc. that is one thing - but if they are really going at it and fighting lots then they should be apart. Are they fighting over hens? Maybe you need more hens? They have to battle it out with one alpha winner... If the omega does not want to give the title to the alpha and is putting up a fight, then either get more hens and give them more space (or separate space) or they need to be completely apart.

I just rehomed our alpha roo, but before that our two got along fairly well -they each accepted their place in the flock.

With both my roos and my hens unless they are drawing blood I let them sort out their pecking order issues.

Let them know that if they keep it up you will settle their differences by tossing them both in the stew pot. JUST KIDDING...

If it is small posturing they will probably work it out. If more intense than that I would probably seperate them. Just to keep everyone happy and not frustrated.

Thanks all for your comments. My bf says we should let them fight it out but he wanted me to ask you all first, your opinion as we are very new to this chicken stuff. BF tells me I being too much a girl/mom always saving the under-roo so they never get a chance to settle anything and establish alpha and beta roos. I just dont like to see them fight but if one good one would settle things down between each other, it would be worth it. I cant stand so much angst between the two of them.

Back
Top Bottom