Is it cruel to take eggs from a broody?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suenrob, Jun 5, 2008.

1. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    I have a broody hen that sat on the nest for 26 days and nothing happened. I threw the eggs away, the nest was disgusting and the eggs were rotten.

She still wants to sit. I have golf balls in the coop to show the girls where to lay, she is now siting on them and I am collecting all the eggs everyday with the hopes that she will give up.

Is this mean?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Nah, they will sit on rocks and try to hatch them. It's all hormonal.

3. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    I'd put her in a wire bottomed or metal bottomed cage (with food and water) to try to break her up. It's not good for them to sit for long periods of time...

4. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    My Lacy is trying to set again after hatching her babies. They are 9 weeks old. I just take any eggs she is on and pick her up and carry her around for a few minutes and then let her down outside with the others. I do this every day.

Ellie

5. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Had the same problem. I had four nests and 5 broodies. After a month only one egg hatched and the mothers killed it. After that I had had enough of the stench that was coming from the nests and cleaned them all out. One or two hens still sit in the nesting boxes especially when someone drops an egg in there. But I just go in there periodically and snatch the eggs out right from under the hen. They hate it and try to bite me but I already supplemented my losses by purchasing new chicks via mail and Fur and Feather Swaps so I don't really need the hens to be broody anymore.

6. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Thanks for the reassurance!! I have been picking her up and taking her to the food and water so I can collect the eggs. She wanders around for a bit, then goes back and sits on the golf balls, LOL

I agree, It was the stench that made me toss the egs and clean out the box!

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I would take the golf-balls out of the nest as well. Just until you break her of being broody. Your chickens "shouldn't" forget where to lay eggs if the golfball goes missing for a few days.

-Kim

8. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Lots of breeds have had the broody bred out of them you are lucky to have that old time instinct still in them. Ok I'll answer your question. Stealing is not cruel its against the law! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by