Is it even worth it?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
My chickens H-A-T-E the snow! Whenever I let them out, or more, force them out, they just stand there. They will fly across the snow to get to a clear space without snow. Then they all huddle in a group and look like flamigos. When I shoo them all back in, they go to the corner and snuggle and lay on their feet. I don't know if this is harming them, or if I should even bother shoving them out everyday.

I would totally let it be their choice.
I have one flock that will not step in the snow but will go out while it is still in parts of the run and a second flock that if they can SEE the snow then they will NOT go out.
I figure if they want to stay in why should I make them go out. No harm in staying in.

I leave it up to my girls to decide. Most take a step out, huddle by the door but look happy just to be outside. The others hang out inside. I have been trying to keep an area of the floor of the coop "free" of debris, litter and poop to throw cracked corn or scratch grains down so that they can still hunt around for tasty treats. They seem to like that I think!

Count me in the "let them decide" group. The purpose for them going outside is to find food (none in the snow) and enjoy life the way an egg factory chicken never can. If they are inside and WANT to be inside, they are happy
smile.png
If they WANT to be inside and you heave them out, they are NOT happy.

If you shovel some snow away and expose green grass, you might find they want to be out. Mine did that on Thursday. They chose to stay in the barn today. The difference was that it was somewhat sunny, though cold, Thursday. Today was cold and blowing snow so no sun.

Bruce

I don't have time to chase chickens around, or the inclination, frankly. The hole is there, if they want to go out they go out. They're grown birds and I let them make that decision themselves
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom