Is it getting too hot to order shipped eggs?

MommasChicks

Hatching
Mar 31, 2015
Hello! I was wondering if it is getting too hot to order shipped eggs and to have a good hatch from them? The temps here were in the upper 80's today.

Last edited:
Does anyone have eggs shipped in the warmer weather? If they were in the box in transit and at anytime they reached their incubation temp, they would probably start to develop. Do the sellers put some type of cold pack in with them or anything? I am just wondering because I have never had any eggs shipped during the warmer weather. Thanks!

I was actually wondering the same thing because the eggs I want I cannot get locally. Today it was 90 and the eggs that I collect for hatching out of my coop I now store in the basement until I place them. But as far as shipping eggs go, I think the shipping part would be okay. The facilities are air conditioned. The trucks cargo areas I am sure are not, but don't think they are going to be in there for very long. I would probably make sure that you were home when they were due to arrive so they would not be left on your porch on a hot day. I could be wrong. I have only ever had shipped eggs in early spring.

I had eggs shipped in late May and early June last year and had excellent results with ducks and geese. This year I've had very mixed results with hatch rates less than 50%. I'm sure it's a shipping issue; the post office has made some changes since last year. Eggs I picked up from a breeder last month had a 100% hatch rate. I think you're still fine, but you'll need to look at the eggs as if they're twice as expensive as the are since half of them aren't likely to hatch. When you do that, even with the lower shipping costs, you might want to see if you can still just order chicks. Or at least find someone selling eggs close enough that you can make a weekend road trip.

Back
Top Bottom