Is it getting too late for pullets to lay?

rainbowgardens

Songster
11 Years
Nov 19, 2008
Central Virginia
My 21 week old speckled sussex haven't started laying yet. Most haven't even begun getting large combs or reddening up.
Is it possible they won't lay until the daylight hours begin increasing in late winter? Should I have ordered them earlier in the spring in order to have eggs this winter?

throw a light in there with them to extend daylight hours!
thumbsup.gif

I have a 21 week old bantom who has been laying eggs for about 6 weeks or so, but has only just become broody and sitting on them. Some ppl have told me it is too late to let her hatch them because the chicks won't survive the winter, but some have said that she will keep them warm and they will be okay. I don't even know if they are fertilized or not. I was worried that she wasn't eating or drinking, but I went out with treats today (corn on the cob, green beans, and rolls left over from supper) and she sure did jump off the nest and run outside to get some! That gave me the opportunity to see her nest too. She has 6 of her own small white eggs and 7 of the big brown eggs from our Rhode Island Red!

13 EGGS! Is that too many for her, being a banty and all? I felt them and they are warm, so she is able to keep them warm.

what should I do at this point. I don't even know if they are fertilized. Now that she has become broody, is she still continuing to lay eggs or has her egg production stopped now that she has so many.

I am assuming that I should wait the 28 or so days to see if they hatch. Then what?

HELP!!! I don't know what to do. This is my first experience with all this.

I have girls just starting to lay, so I think you'll be fine.

Stephanie, I think you're bantam broody has too many eggs and what you'll find it they don't grow properly because she can't cover them all consistently. Maybe let her sit on the bantam eggs and get an incubator for your big eggs.

I've been wondering if I've done something wrong. The person I split my order of chicks with has been getting eggs for about a month now. Hers are confined and mine are free-range. they're the same kind and from the same batch.
I guess mine hate me!! Haven't found a nest anywhere. I keep them closed up till 2pm some days and still no eggs.

My first egg was laid on Thanksgiving day and her sister followed on Christmas Eve withno artifical lighting

When they are ready they will lay

Still no eggs at 18 weeks and counting, although from reading BYC I realize that it's only the earliest part of coming-into-lay. I have heard one or two bukbukbukbuGAAAAAWKs, but someone said that could simply mean a kerfuffle in the coop. But when I gave the girls breakfast this morning, one of them, red-faced and well-developed, did that "submissive crouch" thing, and allowed me to scrub her back. They don't usually care for that. Could it be? Could it be? She's rooster-ready (don't have one) and laying ready? Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Some develop slower than others, that's OK. Also.....are they different breeds?? Is she supplementing light?? I don't think you need to add light at this point. Continue to keep them happy and well fed (may want to start giving layer feed) and wait.....They should still start laying this fall. I have 4 26 week olds and only one of them started laying exactly 2 weeks ago. She is laying 6 eggs a week though and today I got my first large egg.....She has been laying little pullet eggs. Good, perfect shell and all, just small. That was expected though. Give them a little more time, folks also say that chickens that don't lay very young have less problems like prolapse and things. So this may all work out in your - and their - best interest.
smile.png

But I hear you....it is sooooo frustrating to wait and wait for that very first egg...
he.gif
You'll be so thrilled to find it!!!!!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom