Is it irresponsible to hatch guinea eggs if they could be chicken hybrids?

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I have 3 guineas, 2 that are definitely female and 1 that I am fairly certain is male. They were kept in their own run until 16 weeks old. Up until 4 weeks old, they had not been able to see the chickens either. During that time they could see the chickens, and frequently cried when the chickens were out of view, calming when they could see the chickens. A young barred rock cockerel would often spend time sleeping with the guineas. He would sleep on one side of the chicken wire fence, them on the other. One day I left the gate open and they flew in with the chickens to roost so I've left them with the chickens. The guineas have done very well with them. As spring approaches I've been nervous that things could get violent, but I have two coops where I could temporarily move guineas to if things get rough.

Anyways, yesterday I saw the barred rock rooster mount a guinea hen, and she reciprocated the motion. I wanted to hatch guinea keets to either sell or eat. None will be kept for pets or egg laying. Is it irresponsible to hatch the eggs knowing they could be hybrids? I've done some reading, and most don't make it to hatch, and those that do hatch usually grow quickly (which could be good for food purposes) and die less than two years old.

What would you do?

If I was selling them then I would let the buyer know that there's a chance they are hybrids. But honestly I would just hatch them to eat until I knew for sure the father was a guinea. It wouldn’t hurt to try to hatch for the experience.
Alright. I wasn't sure if I was crossing some arbitrary ethical boundary. From what I've read, and information is limited online, the guinea hybrids have been pretty easy to ID from hatch and beyond. It almost sounds like a hybrid could be ideal for meat purposes because they grow faster....

I don't see how this would be unethical or irresponsible. As long as your honest if you sell them for hatching. If you have them in a mixed flock they are going to mate. It's not like you can say no Mr rooster. Those aren't you're girls and he'll leave them alone..

Back
Top Bottom