Is it just me or does this Quail forum move really really slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually signed up for another forum. It was dead, and I sorta brought it back to life. They got tired of me asking all these newbie questions, with them angry with me, I left.
BYC-Q (Backyardchickens-Quail) isn't to bad. Alot more user friendly :) I normally check in the morning and night. Its also a busy time of year... :S

@JHorn...i have a few that die daily!!! I have jumbo cotournix....I have about 50 of them. They are in one brooder with a light on them. They are 2 weeks old now. I am feeding them, watering them...I even figured out that I needed to mix their food to grind it up so they can eat.....I cant figure out why they keep dying!!! The brooder is warm...the hutch that I am using as a brooder seems large enough...i have a hanging wild baby chick food for them to nibble on...I have plenty of food for them....not sure what I am doing wrong...they just seem so fragile....Thanks for any advice...I really dont want to lose any more.

Not sure where u r from but I'm in northern KY and over the past couple of weeks we have still been having some really cold nights and some cool days, some windy, to where we have to wear a light jacket of the day even. Baby quail r a bit more fragile then baby chickens. Is your brooder outdoors or indoors as in your home or a building? If outdoors, are all sides covered to protect them against cool drafts or wind as the babies cant handle the temp changes to well. Is the bottom open wire? U sd wild chick food I'm assuming u mean game-bird starter. Is food and water available to them at all times or r they being feed and watered a couple times a day? This is the first time I have had any experience with Coturnix quail and was given 7 at a day old and raised all of them to laying adults using the same methods I used when I raised bobwhites. I started them in a glass tank with wire on top and a light over them in a back room of my home. I used pine bedding and they had game-bird starter/flight developer and fresh water available all the time. I cleaned the cage often to keep bedding fresh and sanitary. Let them feather pretty well all the way in except for their heads and moved them outside to a brooder that was in a building(feed room) Brooder was covered on all sides with a top opening (just wire) on one side for ventilation and did everything else the same as indoors. When they were at least half grown and fully feathered I moved them outdoors into a large more open cage(wood back with roof, clear plastic as wind barrier on 2 sides, bottom and front open wire) but left a light over them on one side so they had the option to go under it during cold nights while they were adjusting to the change for a just a couple weeks and then removed it. I will leave them on the starter food until they r 12 weeks old since that's what I read as when this species of quail is fully mature and stops growing which is still available 24/7 along with fresh water and will remove the clear plastic(wind barrier) from sides here soon. I got a bit attached so they get lots of treats too. During summer I raise quail differently (more open different brooders) but this is the technique I use in early spring. Was surprised how quickly Coturnix mature so they will b grown b4 u know it. I hope by reading this that u maybe catch the mistake u r making but all game birds seem to b very sensitive to cool drafts as babies but make sure there is always an opening near the top for ventilation and bedding is kept very clean as they can b sensitive to respiratory issues as well. If u have been doing everything the same as this then let me know and I will investigate this further and will have some more ?s such as uniform growth rate ect. Lots of beginners make mistakes and loose birds and then learn from them so don't b hard on yourself and give up. I made lots of mistakes when I first started raising turkeys and peafowl so much so that if it had been left to me to save the species they would have went extinct lol. I lost lots of them in the beginning. I hope this helps u and don't give up. Just think, about this time next month the ones u raise will b laying and u get to set the eggs and try again.
smile.png

I like this site and yeah I am sorta a newbie with some species, color type and new mutations. What I mean by slow or not helpful is I completely understand how to use the search engine on this site. Al tho not as forgiving as yahoo or google as in if u misspell a word then it shows no results unless another member also misspelled the same word in the exact same way that u did. Point is the last couple of threads I started, not counting this one, are questions I searched yahoo google and the search engine on this site and was unable to find an answer. So I don't think as a newbie I'm asking questions that have been explained over and over. If u click on my user-name and check out my post u will see I am trying to identify a color mutation in bob white quail that I even took time to take pics and post along with it and another was asking to describe or post a pic of a species of quail's egg(s) I just got, thats new to me, being housed in an aviary with another species I am familiar with so I can tell the eggs apart. Its a species that is commonly kept and noticed many users have or have had them. I keep getting conflicting info depending on what site u visit on egg description and have yet to come across a pic. If u notice I have gotten a couple of replies that were either not helpful or guesses at best. That's why I asked if this forum is really slow cause its been several days or if quail people r more reserved or just not as willing to help on this forum. I have noticed doing my searches and finding answers to other questions, that several people seem to be very informative about genetics and there is whole threads dedicated to that subject and several people own the other type of quail but no one with any knowledge of either of my questions have bothered to reply al tho they are very active on this forum. Who knows maybe its where I'm not part of the click or something, That's why I asked if there was another or more active thread to maybe seek help elsewhere to get answers. I also noticed looking at several other threads that I am not at all alone here having this problem on the quail forum. I haven't really experienced this on the chicken forum tho as people are always willing to help on there.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Ive seen some pretty good threads with answers to common questions just get lost.

most of the time a thread gets 10-15 replies and is buried the next day by someone asking almost the exact same question, but they want "their" question answered.

I know the "can I keep quail w chicken?" question was so played out that a polar bear and catfood always was involved somehow.

there truly are very few Quail "keepers" and plenty of people who "own" quail, combined with the fact this place used to be a fast food market for quail sales to newbs and I think most of the seasoned people would rather not speak out.

Ive learned alot here, but I am always amazed how someone with no "Quail experience" can swing by and answer a question, so yes, I think some have become more reserved and cautious...

I also think there are some who just wait to catch someone slip up- ta act smart, instead of having the brass to put stuff out there everyday for the world to evaluate....

you obviously know who you want to answer your questions, just go ahead and PM them, introduce yourself, prove your not gonna stab them in the back...

as I said before, The Quail Wars changed things...

I can be reached at [email protected] , my "bird" related e-mail addy for any quail related/discussion group stuff.

WARNING!!!

DO NOT EMAIL Millebantam.

this is most likely a ploy to get you so addicted to his superb line of white new zealand rabbits,

you will figure out a way to get them a ride with an old highschool friend from Rhode Island to Florida...

I know... It happened to me...

WARNING!!!

DO NOT EMAIL Millebantam.

this is most likely a ploy to get you so addicted to his superb line of white new zealand rabbits,

you will figure out a way to get them a ride with an old highschool friend from Rhode Island to Florida...

I know... It happened to me...

noted...
I need some new rabbits too... lol...

I will be the first to admit that I know pretty much 0 about bobs.. except that they are psychotic and I would need a permit to keep them.. so I shy away from birds that don't work and play nice

Hmmm must not have been around on here during "the quail wars." I really thought that was a joke when u mentioned that b4. I really dont know anyone on here or really who to ask my questions too. I noticed some people really get in the genetics of color mutations on buttons and coturnix but not sure they would know much if anything about bobwhites. I have had a couple species of quail years ago and raised 40 reg bobwhites last year and released them trying to get them going on my property again as I haven't seen them in years but didn't really work out. Never knew there was so many bob cats around here and I think the quail drew them out of the woods. I do consider myself a newbie tho because this is the first year I have raised Coturnix quail and the first time I have had color mutation bob whites and Blue Texas scale quail. The Cots seem really easy to raise. Didn't loose any and never knew a that quail could b so tame. I do give advice as a newbie and try to help the best I can especially if the thread has been up for days with no answer or if someone is having trouble raising and keeping their birds alive because I don't want them to give up on the hobby just because they r making a few beginner mistakes. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject tho and doubt there is many on here. If I don't know the answer then I don't answer or if I think I do will start out by saying this is a guess and why I think this but would hope if I did give someone incorrect info someone would step in and correct me. Everyone has different methods of doing things and what works best for someone may not work best for everyone. Lol the keeping chickens with quail question was actually one of mine too.I never posted it cause I did a search and found several threads on it but then again I have a high speed connection and doesn't take as long to sort through all the crap to get my answer. People shouldnt be afraid to help people tho just because a few people are rude or snoody on the forum. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time.

LOL I have a friend that raises meat rabbits and have no interest in raiseing any kind of rabbits at this time. Been there done that. Good looking rabbits tho

the bobwhites are beautiful.
obviously prolly not pure? think your cross of a cross idea was a good guess.

as a newb, I quickly found out that the "pros" do their best to help, but when they give an answer like "no, not a good idea to keep chickens with quail"

someone always comes along and says...but I did it, blah, blah, blah...

2 more good examples,

the "bob-bird" threads are just someone itching to get someone some "points" from the mods. as well the I have a broody coturnix...

you are prolly right on with the pros vs the joes, or commercial producers vs the hobbiest. the medicate it vs. the scorched earth policy.

someone said once... "quail people are batshit crazy" and I think he was pretty close to deadeye on that one
lau.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom