Is it Marek's? Hen won't stand or walk! Please help!

Janelle123

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 9, 2011
Please Help! I have a two year old Barred Rock hen that suddenly won't stand or walk at all. She is eating and drinking and seems otherwise fine. I've checked her feet and legs and they seem fine. I can't find any evidence of injury. This has been going on for two days now. I'm getting very worried. We have six other hens that all seem fine. I've been reading about Marek's disease and am scared this might be what she has. Any other ideas of what could be going on here? If it is Marek's, is there anything I can do for it?

Last edited:
Do you have a rooster that could have hurt her leg while mating her? If you stand her up, does she fall, seem lame, or just sit down? There's not much you can do if it is Mareks, but I would put her on vitamins--either PolyVisol baby vitamins 2-3 drops a day, or chick vitamins in her water. Keep her in a crate for rest, and watch her for a few days to see if there is improvement. She may have just hurt it.

We do not have a rooster. She does seem lame and I can't figure if it is one leg or both - she is able to grasp around my fingers when I press them against her feet. Thank you for your help! I will get her on some vitamins asap! If it is Marek's are my other hens likely to get it or maybe already have it?

We do not have a rooster. She does seem lame and I can't figure if it is one leg or both - she is able to grasp around my fingers when I press them against her feet. Thank you for your help! I will get her on some vitamins asap! If it is Marek's are my other hens likely to get it or maybe already have it?

Unfortunately yes. Mareks is spread through their dander, so if it is mareks, they have all been exposed.

You might want to check out a mareks thread, like; not an emergency, mareks in flock, as there are lots of other people there with mareks flocks and they can aid you in what you will need to do if your chicken has mareks. So sorry! I hope it is just an injury and some rest will heal your bird!
hugs.gif

Thank you! She is still doing well, just not standing or walking at all. Fingers crossed it is nothing too serious.

Back
Top Bottom