Is it mean to add a polish chicken to my flock?

Raen

Songster
9 Years
Nov 3, 2010
Missouri
I've ordered my spring chicks, nine ladies of various breeds, EEs, BRs, RIRs, couple of sex links, an australorp. I have three older hens right now, but I plan to retire them to my friend's barn when the babies start laying, so that I don't crowd everyone.

I'm really tempted to add a polish to my order, but from what I've read they don't always do well in mixed flocks. Also, they're only available as straight runs, and I rather wanted to avoid the rooster thing. But, OMG, they're fabulous.

What to do?

I have read many accounts on BYC of the Polish chicken in the flock getting mercilessly pecked, and feathers pulled out of the crest.

I would say, be prepared to have to separate him or her, and maybe buy two so it won't be lonely while separated or when you have to sell them (will have a friend to move out with).

Just my opinion- I have never had Polish.

I've never had any Polish birds because I always feared that they would either get picked on, or be a brute (I hear the roos can be nasty). They look fabulous, but they don't have a great reputation.

I have a polish hen along with a buff orphington, speckled sussex, and a silver laced wyandotte. I got them all together
when they were babies and they all get along fine. They have never picked on her at all!!
she doesnt always keep up with the other girls when I let them out to free range, mostly because she just cant
see that well with all her hair up there!!! I have however given her a trim now and then so she can see better.
Kind of looks like a mohawk when its cut. But I feel bad for her and it does help her see better.
I am actually getting two more polish hens next month and I cant wait!!!!!! I love them too!!
Their just too cute....... So hope that helps and good luck with your chickies!
smile.png

I love all my polish but some do tend to get picked on. I'm not sure if it is a sight or size issue but I have had several this winter end up bloodied and missing crest feathers.

Do they have bantam polish? That would be a cute thing to see.

I would try it and maybe get to if you can. If there was someone that sold them locally around me I'd give them a try.

I've got a Polish in my flock of 4 birds, 4 breeds. The other girls don't pick on the Polish and she gets along fine. I would have to agree with those who said to raise them together as chicks & you'll have no problems. My Polish & bantam Cochin are both hatchery raised & I bought them as "laying hens." They tend to stick together. My Silver-laced wydonnette & black star were bought as chicks & raised together. They stick together. I've got the flock free-ranging in my back yard. The polish & cochin are frequently in a different part of the yard than the SLW & BS, but when it comes to treat time, they all come together. They all sleep together too. The only thing I've had problems with is when I feed "juicy" treats (i.e. yogurt, strawberries, etc), the Polish tends to get the stuff all over her crest, she also occasionally gets it soaked when she drinks out of the dog's water dish. It always ends up getting cleaned again, and I'm assuming the other birds help her clean it out, since she obviously can't do it! I'd say add the polish, especially if you're getting her as a chick. Who knows, she may end up being the dominant bird in your flock.
smile.png

Have to agree, I've read an awful lot of accounts of their being bullied. You could try it, of course, but I'd have a backup plan in place,, as suggested.

I added a Polish rooster to my flock last September and he did get pecked for a while but they got used to him and now he rules the roost. I think it's just a matter of what they are used to being around. I put a smaller pen inside my regular pen and kept him in there where he could still interact with the hens but the couldn't jump him for a few weeks and then I let him in with the rest of them. They seemed to adjust fairly quickly to him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom