Is it molting time in Texas?

suburbanhomesteader

Songster
12 Years
Apr 5, 2007
Southern Dallas County, TX
Two of my three "tester" hens (adult game hens) have gone through 2 broody phases (I broke the broodiness by moving their nest out of the tractor, as someone suggested) and now are losing tail and body feathers like crazy. I haven't had an egg in almost 3 weeks.

Are they molting now? I thought hens weren't supposed to molt until later in the year....

I explained to them that in this house, if you are not a laying chicken, you are a stewpot chicken, but that didn't seem to phase them...

Bo and the Production Reds are 16 and 12 weeks, respectively, and are not yet laying, but they are not shedding as many feathers, either.

Any thoughts?

Chances are if the hens aren't laying and they are losing feathers, it is a molt. Not all of the flock will molt at exactly the same time. Maybe because of the situation, that is the case. Time to heal is part of the molt process.... I would wait and see what happens before making judgement.

Chickens have a way of suprising you when you think you know what is going on.
th.gif

bigzio

I have one game hen that looks terrible. She just hatched out a clutch of chicks. I think sometimes the "broody" cycle takes a lot out of them & they get really ragged looking.

My hens usually molt in the fall.

My other games that have chicks all look just fine. I think it's just this ones nature. Might be the same for your hen also.

Jean

Back
Top Bottom