Is it moral to eat meat? ***Constructive Discussion ONLY***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love that the young people are speaking up in this thread. When I was a teenager, I was a vegetarian, and I stayed one for 8 years. Then I really questioned why I wasn't eating meat, and it really came down to the overall treatment of animals. I think the real fix for that is to grow your own.

Another good thing to grow for protein... worms!

tongue.png

It's not just for chickens anymore!

Quote:
I got you now. Maybe it could be like when we get driver's licenses. You go in, have to dispatch and process an animal. Then you are licensed to eat that kind of animal. Of course, you'd have to renew your license every so often so you don't forget.

What a strange world that would be, huh?

Adding to what Pat was writing about, I had this friend down in Texas who would only eat meat that was skinless and boneless, because she couldn't stand to eat anything that resembled an animal. I think there are plenty of Americans like that. They swear meat comes from a styrofoam and plastic wrap factory. There is more sickness in that than killing your own meat.

BTW, my husband is looking up duck recipes on his computer right now....

So greyfields, if you want another interesting moral conundrum - is it more moral to eat a bunch of chickens, which many people feel are 'lower creatures' than cows/pigs/lambs and has less of a well developed sense of self, experience of life, soul, whatever you want to call it...

... or is it more ethical to kill *one* large cow, pig or even lamb and get a whole bunch of meals from that single life taken, than to off a new chicken for every second dinner you eat?

I am absolutely of two minds about this one. Hence I eat 'em all. But not with an entirely clear conscience
tongue.png

Pat

Who gets to choose which is lower and which is higher? Is it like the Indian caste system? If so, can I be an untouchable? I want to stay out of the food chain hierarchy.

I love meat. I eat what I kill. I hunt, fish and trap. I never, ever let an animal die for the sake of sport. Each animal that I harvest is used to the utmost. Not to say I don’t buy store meat, because I do. But the meat industry (beef, chicken, pork) has become so amazingly foul. I think most folks who visit a commercial operation would all become vegetarians – and never drink store milk again. If I were independently wealthy I would switch from Investments to farming, and do it right.
This year we decided on ducks and Chickens. The ducks are messy, poopy, and just disorganized. They are also awesome creatures, beautiful, intelligent and will not be wasted. The Chickens will be used for meat, but primarily eggs:)
smile.png
. I treat all my animals like pets, even those who will become dinner. It’s just the right thing to do. So far this post has been right on. Keep it up.

TG

PS – Here is a scripture for any Christian that struggles with eating meat. I shared this with my men's group today and thought of it as I read this post. God Bless.

Acts 10:9-16
On the next day, as they were on their way and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. But he became hungry and was desiring to eat; but while they were making preparations, he fell into a trance; and he saw the sky opened up, and an object like a great sheet coming down, lowered by four corners to the ground, and there were in it all kinds of four-footed animals and crawling creatures of the earth and birds of the air. A voice came to him, “Get up, Peter, kill and eat!” But Peter said, “By no means, Lord, for I have never eaten anything unholy and unclean.” Again a voice came to him a second time, “What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy.” This happened three times, and immediately the object was taken up into the sky.

I eat meat. I wish I had the finances and/or the set-up to eat only organically raised meat, but alas. So what I try to do is be mindful of of my consumption. By this I mean I try to be of grateful mind and heart that I have more than enough food to eat, and that it's such a variety. Many in this world don't have that kind of choice or luxury, so it's not a political or moral discussion for them, it's just a matter of survival.

So I say thanks to the Creator for the gift of abundance, and do what things I am able to do to better the lives of the creatures I consume.
smile.png

Quote:
I was born in a rural region in Italy and have always eaten meat.
Not much and not very often, but usually in Sunday. We had no such thing as "pets". We had chickens, for meat and for eggs.
We purchased a four week old pig in April and in December we would butcher it and consume every part of it, and I mean "every" part of it, throughout the following year. We had rabbits and we would eat them also. Nothing was wasted. We had one female goat, and we consumed its milk year round. I used to hate my dad when he killed the goats' kids around Easter, but enjoyed every bit if the meat. Yes we ate the brain also, and it was very tasty.
Do I or did I think it was immoral? Absolutely not. It was a necessity.
Presently, I eat meat, fish and poultry.

Would I now eat a goats brain?........Nah.
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom