Is it necessary / advisable to leave a light on at night

Chicken Little-er

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Hi All, Our 6 week old chicks are now in their coop and loving their run. I've removed their heat lamp and replaced it w/ a 40 watt bulb and they are doing fine. Soon the nights will be warm enough that no light / heat needed at all. I've heard that some people still like to have a dim light on all night long -- is this necessary / advisable or can they be left in the dark for the night? Thanks!

They do not have to have a light...once they are used to going in they will go in without the light...
wink.png

Hijacking this post to elaborate on the question... some of the things I've read say to leave the light on all the time to encourage the chicks to eat more. Won't they eat enough if they eat all day?? Don't they, like all animals, need sleep too?? I *much* prefer your advice to the "professional" advice found in most books.
big_smile.png

Quote:
now baby chicks up to 4 weeks or so need the heat light for the heat 24/7 but once they are out in the coop na they are good I do have a heat lamp out there if we get a cold snap I will leave the (red light on for warmth) but otherwise they are good! They might be scared the first couple nights going into the dark coop but they get used to it...
big_smile.png
just something new they need the darkness to sleep well
smile.png

thanks! It seemed odd to me that they would always need a light -- perhaps I'll 'wean' them down with dimmer and dimmer bulbs. They made the transition to the coop and the run just fine and are starting to use their new perches and seem to be getting the hang of everything just fine. A light on all night long seemed kind of unnatural to me.

I have a brooder cage that is in the coop and off the ground that I use. I used a little night light for a while like you use in a child's room, but only because one was attacked by something through the wire in the night. I figured that if they could at least see a little (it's DARK in there at night) then if whatever it was came back, they could at least see to get away. I had no more problems with whatever that was. A few days after, I sealed up some places it might have gotten in also.

But really, like they all said, it's not necessary. I still use it for young ones but shut it off once they are around 2 months old. Mine are just coddled
smile.png

I fretted over this too, now my 7 week olds appear so grown up as they make squeaks and squawks getting up on the roost in the evening. I left light on for a few days, then forgot to turn it on til 9 one evening and i ran out there to find them quiet, so I left them be in the dark. Amazingly self sufficient and instinct driven. As long as they are safe and warm if they still need it I am now convinced they are fine. So much easier to take care of and enjoy in the big coop. My time with them is hanging out, not having screaming chickens at one end of brooder while I change bedding, etc. My next batch will hopefully not spend another night in brooder if we get enough done in remainder of coop today!

Thank you - that gives me some confidence! This is our very first flock - so each step is brand new. We have 7 - 2 Buff Orps, 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Araucanas and 1 Light Brahma. Definitely want to add to the flock next year (or later this year...)

I leave a very low wattage light on because I'm afraid they won't be able to get back on their roost if they fall or are pushed off, which has happened. Also, I need to go in there, sometimes, after the 'girls' have gone to bed for the night, and I'm afraid a bright light will upset them.
I have two silver-laced Wynadottes (most dominate), three barred rocks, two New Hampsire reds and four buff orpingtons, which are my favorite, because they are SO sweet (but are at the bottom of the 'totem pole' because of that)! This is my first year at this, and had I to do it over again, I would have gotten only buff orpingtons.

Back
Top Bottom