Is it normal for a chicken to shake?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Poliwag, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    I have 4 chicks, 2 are almost 3 weeks old and the other 2 are almost 2 weeks old. They all seem to shake when I hold them. (though, it's hard to tell if they shake normally or not) Now, I know they aren't scared of me as they feel safe enough to fall asleep in my hands.

They aren't cold either as they have a nice warm light and they run around everywhere in their chicken box pen. (spoilt rotten chickens [​IMG][​IMG]) I have a temperature Gauge in the box and it is between 28-33 degrees C. I only have the light on at night as it is starting to get cold where I live. (had to get a stronger light)

So, is this normal or what?
  2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mine shake to. I think its just normal.
  3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    If a gigantic huge toothy giant picked you up in its giant hot hands you'd probably shake too.

All my chicks have always shivered when I held them, at least until they got older and more used to me.
  4. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    My one tiny bantam shakes when I hold it. The others not so much. Normally it will stop shaking after a short time. So, I agree that they may be a bit scared. We are truly giants compared to them![​IMG]
  5. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

OH, mine do that too...they are not shaking...they are purring. [​IMG]
  6. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Mine tremble too. I just keep holding them until a little while after they stop and then return them. It's kind of like training a dog.
  7. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
  8. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Quote:Oh, so they are purring. Awesome! [​IMG]

Thanks everyone for replying. I am glad it's just normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by