Is it normal for a duck hatch to stretch out this long? 5 days!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lceh, Aug 19, 2011.

1. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I set runner duck eggs for my first duck hatch. They were due to hatch on Tuesday (16th). I had 3 hatch on Monday, 3 on Tuesday, 3 on Wednesday, 1 on Thursday, and 1 is hatching now (Friday). All of the ducklings are healthy and vigorous, but after 5 days of hatching the incubator is really starting to stink from all the egg goo, etc. Do duck eggs usually straggle this much? I picked these up from a friend, who carefully collected them for 7 days and stored them in an egg turner until I picked them up, but the house wasn't air conditioned and I'm wondering if some of the eggs developed a bit before I set them all on July 19. Just curious, I had promised someone they could borrow my incubator starting today and I've had to postpone until this last little guy finishes up and dries out! And it's funny to see the size difference in ducklings from the same hatch, but 4 days apart in age.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Yep, sounds like you had yourself a staggered hatch thanks to high temps. Ducks do take 36/48 hours to completely hatch anyways, so sounds like yours are right on target.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, I would agree with the staggered hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by