Is it normal for a pullet to lay 1 egg...and then quit?

CALI CHICK

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Rio Linda, CA
Hi All, My RIR (23 wks old) layed her first egg on Tuesday night (1/24/12). I wasn't too surprised that she skipped the next day, but she has not laid another egg since! That's 3 days! She was in the nest box over 2 hours before the egg came out and then stood stalk-still facing forward, traumatized over the egg for almost 10 minutes. Then, she started the egg song and turned to look at "what had caused all this pain!!!"
THIS PICTURE CRACKS ME UP....It's like she's saying, "WHAT IS THIS?????".

Anyway-back to my question-Do you think she will lay more eggs soon OR was it just too much for her?
My BO started laying over 3 weeks ago and gives us 6 or 7 eggs a week faithfully!

She'll start again soon - maybe even today.
fl.gif
(this guy is really praying for an egg)

My EE laid an egg on New Years Eve and then waited 4 days to lay another one. She would stand over the egg afterwards like it was some huge paralyzing event. LOL! She still hangs out in the nest box after she's done - trying to recuperate I guess.

My WL laid increasing sized white eggs for about 5 days and then started laying softshelled for almost a week! She finally worked out her kinks and laid a white egg every single day since. She has laid 47 consecutive good large eggs.

That's good that she's just "working out the kinks". I never realized chickens were "kinky"!
lau.gif
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...!

Bobbieschicks - Your EE sounds just like my RIR. I really think that first egg traumitized them! And, I was worried she might go on strike. RIR's are supposed to be good egg layers so I got excited and didn't buy eggs at the store this week-LOL At least my Buff Orpington is doing her job. :)

My Barred Rock is yet to lay us an egg. She is the silliest, noisiest chicken (maybe even a little schitzo)! Good news: She started doing the egg squat this week.

Back
Top Bottom