Is it normal for a pullet to "try out" the nesting box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spikes Chooks, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    My four chickens are 24 weeks old and the first to lay (daily from last week) turned out to be the Rhode Island Red. I posted a photo as I wasn't sure if it was her or the Australorp - turns out to be the RIR as I finally found her laying the egg yesterday morning.

The Australorp and the Barnevelder both have combs and wattles becoming larger and redder and are squatting for me, though a little half-heartedly. Since the RIR has been laying they show more interest in what I'm doing in the coop when I clean it out each morning, coming up the ramp to check it out. This morning the Barnevelder spent at least 20 minutes in one of the nesting boxes - a little fluffed up, sitting on the dummy egg and making the same sort of cooing noise the RIR made when laying. I got all excited I might be in for another first egg - but nothing is there and she is now back out with the other girls. Was she just practising?!? I'm hoping she couldn't be going broody as she hasn't even laid yet!

Have others noticing them trying out the position before they first lay?

2. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Yes they do practice. you should see a new egg in the next day or so.

3. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    They definitely practice. I'm excited because my huge 7 month old Cochin mix has been squatting and just today I saw her go in the coop several times. Practice makes perfect. Good luck.

4. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by