Is it normal for chickens to be cutting down on feed this time of year?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Farmer Mike S, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Farmer Mike S

Farmer Mike S Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Glen Mills, PA
    Usually my feeder lasts around 3 days. The past few times I refilled it it's been about 5 days. They are drinking less too which is predictable since it's getting cold, and egg production is slowing too which again is something I expect since days are getting shorter. I just want to make sure though that my chickens eating less is normal.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    For the several years that I've been raising chickens, I've noticed the same thing: when it starts getting colder, the chickens start eating less. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense, as you would think that they need more feed to produce energy to keep warm. As long as your flock seems healthy (eat, drink, are free from parasites, no respiratory symptoms, etc.) otherwise, they're probably fine.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I've noticed, too, that my chickens eat less in the winter. It doesn't really make sense to me (you would think that they would be eating more because of colder weather), but it seems to be the way it is. My birds act perfectly healthy and normal, but just eat less. They drink less, too. So, in my opinion, its normal.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The days here are shorter by nearly three hours compared to a few months ago.

That's 21 hours (nearly a full day) less per week they have to eat and drink, and each day from now until Dec 21 will be even shorter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by