Is it normal for chickens to have a winter break the first year of laying?

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
I have 5 hens and a rooster from April. 4 out of 5 are laying but in October after we put 2 new chickens into the flock one of the new ones stopped ,and I haven’t seen an egg from her since October.all the other ones have also stopped except for one who lays like 2x a week. Is that normal?

What breeds are they?

Where are you located and how many hours of sunlight are you getting each day?
I’m located in Denmark,the sun is up at around 8 am and it’s dark around 4 pm so not a lot of sunlight. I have 2 black copper marans,an olive egger,a Mix between isa brown and EA and a little polish chicken. The polish is the one Who hasn’t layed since October.😊

I’m located in Denmark,the sun is up at around 8 am and it’s dark around 4 pm so not a lot of sunlight. I have 2 black copper marans,an olive egger,a Mix between isa brown and EA and a little polish chicken. The polish is the one Who hasn’t layed since October.😊

That's not much light. They say that chickens need 14 hours.

Polish aren't very good layers anyway so I'm not surprised she's not laying.

That actually helped a lot that you for your time😊

You're welcome.

Even here in North Carolina with 10 hours of daylight I'm only getting a handful of eggs right now.

Some people add light in the coop to improve winter laying. Others prefer to let their hens rest on a winter break. Neither way is wrong. :)

Mine were still roosted up at 7:30 this morning, and when I got home at 4:20 pm, they were roosted up for the night. 15 hours, so 9 of daylight. No eggs for me. Usually by mid January to beginning of February is when mine will come into lay again. I have 5 pullets, which I was hoping would lay some over the winter, but nothing.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom