Is it normal for ducks to not eat so much during the winter?

Happyflower

Songster
10 Years
Jun 3, 2009
Midwest
This is the 2nd year I have had a pair of rouens and now a rescue duck. The still love getting the greens every day but I noticed they don't eat much of their feed during the winter. Do they go into some kind of hibernation mode? I live in Northern Indiana, so it is cold.

My girls seem to be eating a bit more these days. They are runners. I moved them from their outdoor unheated house into the walk-out basement (there are several windows for natural light as well as some indoor lighting during the day, and it's about 50F). They started laying eggs again.

Are yours laying?

They stopped laying around November when it got cold. But a month before the snow, they were eating TONS of grain and now they don't eat much at all. I just wonder if this is some sort of natural cycle. I would think they would eat more to stay warm, so it goes against my logic. So I thought I would ask others here who live in the cold parts of the country if they notice any difference once the coldest part of the season hits. It happened last winter, so that is why I am wondering now.

yes my runners aren't eatting as much. but they are laying with 17 hours of light. i get 4 eggs a day out of 6 girls.

my call ducks hardly eat anything there food dish inever seems empty.

I live in Central indiana. I've got 3 pekins and only 1 is laying right now. She just started about 2 weeks ago. I have also noticed they aren't eating as much as they used to. But this is my first winter so I have nothing to compare it to! I'm glad to hear mine aren't the only ones that have cut back on their intake.

I live in Northern Florida. It's been cold here, 24 at nite and up to 40 during the day. I have 9 ducks. There're eating me out of house and home. I get 9 eggs everyday. I wish they would quit laying. I've got eggs coming out of my ears. Can't sell them, no body wants duck eggs. I've been giving them away to a senior center, but I can't afford to feed 9 ducks and just give the eggs away. Want some ducks?

Mine Do NOT eat as much either! They eat theiir vegies but hardly any of their pellets I buy live crickets as I was worried about them not getting enough protein they also luv Millet seed (in the bird section) ..especially when I throw it in their pond!

Back
Top Bottom