Is it normal for Japanese bantams to not jump/fly?

jillianjo

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 17, 2016
I’ve got 4 bantam chicks that are 4 weeks old, 2 golden sebright, 1 OEGB, and 1 Japanese bantam. The Japanese bantam is the only one who never jumps or flies. The other 3 have all been going crazy testing their wings out and they love jumping up to the edge of the brooder box (we cover it when we aren’t supervising them so they don’t escape lol), but the Japanese either can’t or won’t jump or fly. She’ll jump down if we put her on the edge with her siblings, but she’ll never jump up.

Same when we take them outside on little field trips, we’ll usually sit down with our legs outstretched and the other 3 will jump all over us and do zoomies around our legs. The Japanese will walk around and peck and eat, but if she’s separated from her siblings she just starts chirping and will absolutely not jump over our legs to get to the others.

Is this due to the short legs that Japanese bantams have? Her legs are definitely shorter than the others so I guess that makes sense, I just wasn’t sure if that’s normal to be that much less active. Maybe I’m overthinking it lol, she is growing fine so I don’t think that’s an issue, I guess it’s possibly she’s just a scaredy chick. She is BY FAR the slowest and easiest to catch of them all. I feel a little bad for her short little legs if that’s the reason she just can’t keep up 😬

Attachments

• IMG_6876.jpeg
    IMG_6876.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom