Is it normal to have bright red skin during molting?

beatriceanddaisy

In the Brooder
May 20, 2020
Greater Seattle Area, WA
My 1.5 year old RI Red has been progressively losing feathers for several months. She's active, eating, and laying. We ignored it but have recently been concerned that its something serious, and when we picked her up to inspect we saw that her entire underside from neck to vent is featherless and the skin is bright red. I didn't think that bright red skin was normal for molting. We have 4 other chickens and none have any feather loss like this. Haven't seen the others peck her at all.

I've checked for mites at night and don't see any on her or in the coop. No sign of lice or vent gleet.

Thoughts?

IMG-7110.JPG

This looks like maybe shes rubbing herself on the roost. I had a chicken who did that in a different set up. What does she roost on? But, this doesn't look like molting.

Mine have had bright red skin when molting. But I don't see any new feathers growing, and they should start soon.

If she is eating, active, and bright eyed, with good comb and wattles, although, sometimes they will pale during molt, I would not worry about this bird. Maybe check where she is roosting, but I think it will cure itself if you do nothing.

This looks like maybe shes rubbing herself on the roost. I had a chicken who did that in a different set up. What does she roost on? But, this doesn't look like molting.
Thanks for your reply! She roosts on a cedar bar and has been on the same one her whole life, so I'm not sure its something about the bar. I wiped it down to be safe, and didn't see any residue or weird stuff on it...

Mine have had bright red skin when molting. But I don't see any new feathers growing, and they should start soon.

If she is eating, active, and bright eyed, with good comb and wattles, although, sometimes they will pale during molt, I would not worry about this bird. Maybe check where she is roosting, but I think it will cure itself if you do nothing.
Thanks for your reply! That's heartening and helpful.

Back
Top Bottom