Is it normal to only get 2-4 eggs a day from seven chickens?

About heat not playing a factor in laying. When it gets cold chickens stop laying to preserve their energy for staying warm, and because they know their chicks won't survive. There are other factors as well obviously like light and food. But cold/heat does play a factor.
I live in MN and it can get to the -20s to -30s for days on end here. When I first started keeping chickens, I would close the coop up tight in the winter and run a heat lamp to keep chickens and water warm. I thought the warm was what kept them laying. (I was a city kid that married a farmer. I had no idea what I was doing and no such thing as the internet at the time.) I always had sneezy, unhealthy chickens in the spring. I now have unheated, well ventilated coops - I don’t even put the windows in until it’s consistently below freezing as long as the wind isn’t blowing in on them when they’re roosting. When I use supplemental lighting in the winter, I get eggs all winter long. I’ve collected eggs when it’s been -26*.

The light triggers the pineal gland, and that’s what causes laying. Chickens don’t “know” that their babies couldn’t survive in the cold, or that they need the extra reserves from food and water to stay warm, so they can’t choose to stop laying in the winter. It’s just how their bodies are made. Nature. The lengthening of the days coincides with the warmer weather, so naturally the hens start laying again when chicks would survive. Amazing when you think about how all that just “works out”.

I would think that the large egg producing factories run heat for reasons other than making the hens lay eggs. Like keeping their workers comfortable, and to keep their machinery running properly. Pretty sure there is also a huge ventilation or air exchange system that runs all year. Do they run a/c in the summer? If so, do you also?There really is no comparison to how those places run, vs. a small farm or backyard flock.

I live in MN and it can get to the -20s to -30s for days on end here. When I first started keeping chickens, I would close the coop up tight in the winter and run a heat lamp to keep chickens and water warm. I thought the warm was what kept them laying. (I was a city kid that married a farmer. I had no idea what I was doing and no such thing as the internet at the time.) I always had sneezy, unhealthy chickens in the spring. I now have unheated, well ventilated coops - I don’t even put the windows in until it’s consistently below freezing as long as the wind isn’t blowing in on them when they’re roosting. When I use supplemental lighting in the winter, I get eggs all winter long. I’ve collected eggs when it’s been -26*.

The light triggers the pineal gland, and that’s what causes laying. Chickens don’t “know” that their babies couldn’t survive in the cold, or that they need the extra reserves from food and water to stay warm, so they can’t choose to stop laying in the winter. It’s just how their bodies are made. Nature. The lengthening of the days coincides with the warmer weather, so naturally the hens start laying again when chicks would survive. Amazing when you think about how all that just “works out”.

I would think that the large egg producing factories run heat for reasons other than making the hens lay eggs. Like keeping their workers comfortable, and to keep their machinery running properly. Pretty sure there is also a huge ventilation or air exchange system that runs all year. Do they run a/c in the summer? If so, do you also?There really is no comparison to how those places run, vs. a small farm or backyard flock.
When I said the chickens know their babies can't survive in the cold and dark, I was referring to their subconscious. The same as what your saying. It's nature. Their 'internal and natural clock' knows....
I was not meaning at all that they make the conscious decision NOT to produce offspring. Obviously.

Well I have to say, your response acctually brought a smile to my face. Genuinely.
Clearly in my post I acted somewhat defensive, and some of my views in life are strong. you have a way with lightening the mood, and making it a positive experience.
As for the boyfriend. He doesn't live in my house, he doesn't contribute to the bills, and there are no plans on getting married, and he doesn't view himself as a father figure. The relationship won't be long term.. If we were married abviously both of our opinions would matter. I'm just simply stating he has knowledge. And I've learned a thing or two from him. But like i said it won't be a long term relationship, so his opinion doesn't matter when it comes the things I would live and die for. Honestly I can see how my post seems a little jaded. It acctually wasn't meant to be. Just because we are dating doesn't mean he gets to make important decisions for my children. Ive had to work really hard to provide for my children and build a life for them, basicly kill myself. and i hope you can understand. I know this thread has become totally off topic, so I will just leave it at that.
Been all the places you are.. and I'm a guy. Have similar relationship, if it can be called that.. 57 - 58 years worth.. She mentioned one time at a garage sale at my then home and joined me in the sale.. That "If I ever married again I would like to keep separate houses." I thought chicken poo.. not financially responsible. I was wrong I believe. She honestly looks and acts half her age.. Shows up when she wants too or not.. I avoid her, doesn't work... She is out there running amuck and has as long as I have known her.. can't excape.. even other states. 10 years and 3 months difference in age... I took care of her for her lifetime.. Protected her Harley habit lifestyle and 'all' that includes. Like the hen with a bum foot I may have stepped on.. I seperated her and fed her and watered her.. When she got better. She expected me to hand feed her.. nope not happening. It's not off topic. People are more than chickens and chickens more than people.. I moved 90 miles away.. not on purpose.. Found a deal in 2010.. Just thought this game of tag was not working for me.. Showed up in my neighborhood and could walk to her house through the woods.. Then she shows up working where I have partook in a local business since 1982.. and another place I have done business a few decades.. Dang! You're all right in my book. Keep on Keeping on.. Old Hippie lingo. Besties

Heat and cold DOES play a factor. As well as light. According to people who study for their Batchelor of science,and according to large scale farmers.
I did more indepth research on this matter in light of consistent remarks from people saying that the cold itself doesn't impact a chickens ability to lay eggs. And ive consistantly responded by saying yes it does....because the chickens require extra energy to stay warm...which in turn sometimes doesn't leave them with enough energy to lay eggs. Or to take care of their babies(again subconscious). So here's the best research I was able to find ....that isn't linked to commercial egg production, since people love to use that as an excuse that the scientific information is never valid from those sources.
Rather it's a study that was done by students to help them obtain their Batchelor of science. So the information came from students in a university who were studying science. I mean...if that doesn't make it clear and understandable for people, then really there's no point in these continued debates. I consistently back up my findings with scientific proof to my claims. And people consistantly respond with information that isn't being backed up. With no information for people to acctually followup with and learn.
Just because your chickens are doing well with out an insulated coop or heat.....and they continue to give you a high rate of eggs...that doesn't mean everyone is getting that experience. My region gets colder than yours. The cold FOES effect the rate of egg production. I simply insulate the walls with hay, and I ALSO have lots of ventilation. So again just because you haven't needed to add heat....that doesn't mean the COLD doesn't effect egg production in birds. Everyone knows there's a ton of OTHER key factors as well. Here's the PDF download for anyone's reading. It isn't a link....because it isn't a website. It's just a university study.

Attachments

• IQP_Report_Sustainable_Technologies.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
When I said the chickens know their babies can't survive in the cold and dark, I was referring to their subconscious. The same as what your saying. It's nature. Their 'internal and natural clock' knows....
I was not meaning at all that they make the conscious decision NOT to produce offspring. Obviously.
I will rephrase. The lengthened hours of daylight triggers the pineal glad, which triggers laying. This coincides with warmer temperatures, so chicks will survive if hatched.

However, if chickens are provided with supplemental light in the winter, they will continue to lay whether the coop is heated or not. I have tried it both ways - with heat and without. With extra light, they lay either way. Since I stopped closing the coop up tight and heating it, my chickens are happier and healthier come spring.

Heat and cold DOES play a factor. As well as light. According to people who study for their Batchelor of science,and according to large scale farmers.
I did more indepth research on this matter in light of consistent remarks from people saying that the cold itself doesn't impact a chickens ability to lay eggs. And ive consistantly responded by saying yes it does....because the chickens require extra energy to stay warm...which in turn sometimes doesn't leave them with enough energy to lay eggs. Or to take care of their babies(again subconscious). So here's the best research I was able to find ....that isn't linked to commercial egg production, since people love to use that as an excuse that the scientific information is never valid from those sources.
Rather it's a study that was done by students to help them obtain their Batchelor of science. So the information came from students in a university who were studying science. I mean...if that doesn't make it clear and understandable for people, then really there's no point in these continued debates. I consistently back up my findings with scientific proof to my claims. And people consistantly respond with information that isn't being backed up. With no information for people to acctually followup with and learn.
Just because your chickens are doing well with out an insulated coop or heat.....and they continue to give you a high rate of eggs...that doesn't mean everyone is getting that experience. My region gets colder than yours. The cold FOES effect the rate of egg production. I simply insulate the walls with hay, and I ALSO have lots of ventilation. So again just because you haven't needed to add heat....that doesn't mean the COLD doesn't effect egg production in birds. Everyone knows there's a ton of OTHER key factors as well. Here's the PDF download for anyone's reading. It isn't a link....because it isn't a website. It's just a university study.
YES, cold, season and length of day effects egg production.. Chickens only have so many eggs.. like people. Then it is mental pause.. I would prefer my chickens live out a life nature intended them too, like myself.. I have hugged a tree.

I have not done the research you have. I only have my experience to go on which is what I share.

According to scientific studies(studies not related to funding by commercial egg producers, heat and cold play a factor....on top of light. Everything and everywhere I research says cold and heat alone play a factor, on top of the many factors. I'm not disagreeing that your correct about the light factor. And I'm not saying that people have to HEAT their coops in order to achieve full egg production. I'm saying keeping your Chickens warm contributes to egg production, and it's because they require less energy for keeping warm, which in turn gives them more energy for laying. Laying requires a TON of effort. . I've backed up the science over and over. But nobody will back up their statements because they think that what works for them or the people they know... works for everyone.
The information I've provided here is a pdf download because it's from a university study done by students as a part of them obtaining their Batchelor of Science.

I will rephrase. The lengthened hours of daylight triggers the pineal glad, which triggers laying. This coincides with warmer temperatures, so chicks will survive if hatched.

However, if chickens are provided with supplemental light in the winter, they will continue to lay whether the coop is heated or not. I have tried it both ways - with heat and without. With extra light, they lay either way. Since I stopped closing the coop up tight and heating it, my chickens are happier and healthier come spring.

Attachments

• IQP_Report_Sustainable_Technologies.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
YES, cold, season and length of day effects egg production.. Chickens only have so many eggs.. like people. Then it is mental pause.. I would prefer my chickens live out a life nature intended them too, like myself.. I have hugged a tree.
I would rather feed my children with my own hens through out the winter, then to stop producing eggs in the winter, and buy commercial eggs from the grocery store from animals that have been caged their entire life and are culled as soon as they stop producing. For us it's a means of living as well. I prefer the eggs from my happy hens who live for many years over the commercial hens that live on average around 18 months old.

Back
Top Bottom