is it normal

Henny Penny s Mom

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2019
My chickens have not started to lay yet , we got them as chicks but older ones and we have had them 12 weeks. They are starting to sit and pull the dirt up around them so we gave them some hay we keep them inside. but they have a pen they get out in and we put dirt in it for them. Is it ok to give them hay??? I still feed them the baby chick food, but started to give them grass and stuff left over from the garden. and a few bugs. Should I start them on grit?

My chickens have not started to lay yet , we got them as chicks but older ones and we have had them 12 weeks. They are starting to sit and pull the dirt up around them so we gave them some hay we keep them inside. but they have a pen they get out in and we put dirt in it for them. Is it ok to give them hay??? I still feed them the baby chick food, but started to give them grass and stuff left over from the garden. and a few bugs. Should I start them on grit?
It sounds like they are dust bathing.
They need grit in a separate container at all times. They are old enough for adult grit.
Why do you want to give them hay, exactly? I'm just confused by the question. Sorry.

The hay was put in to block an old doorway and help to insulate from weather, they have not started to lay yet, how old do they have to be to lay eggs? I was told to keep feeding them the baby chicken food until they start to lay eggs, but we gave the them the garden stuff as a treat. y girls come running as soon as I come into the coop to see what I have for them.

do I give them grit now or wait ill they start to lay? They have not layed any eggs yet don't know when they will. I have 6 Americana and 6 easter eggers. Hope I spelled that right

In the USA, grit is actually small rocky material that they need to digest their food. All chickens need small stones to grind up anything they eat except chicken pellets, crumble, or mash.
Oyster shell is not called grit here, it's actually crushed shells, to provide laying hens the extra calcium required to form those egg shells.
Mary

Hay is appropriate bedding in my book, also in my nest boxes. Mine started laying at around the 6 month mark, what breeds do you have so somebody can give you a good idea of when to expect layers.

Late Edit- NM I see you listed the breeds- I have reared neither so can't help you there.

Last edited:
Thank you all for all for your help. We got our first egg yesterday, and threw it away as we have been told we should do. How often will they lay and for how long do we have to throw the eggs away?

Back
Top Bottom