is it ok for chickens to drink rain water? (not gray water)

Quote:
Exactly. Ours will run past their waterers with fresh clean water in them to get to the mud puddle in their pen to drink and I swear they like it even better after they poop in it!!!

I do like the vinegar idea though and I have also considered putting a little colloidal silver in their water now and then. I have read to put it in your pet's water and have done that. Guess it wouldn't hurt the chickens either. Any thoughts on the silver?

silver is a great antimicrobial. I don't know if it is harmful to chickens
Quote:
Exactly. Ours will run past their waterers with fresh clean water in them to get to the mud puddle in their pen to drink and I swear they like it even better after they poop in it!!!

I do like the vinegar idea though and I have also considered putting a little colloidal silver in their water now and then. I have read to put it in your pet's water and have done that. Guess it wouldn't hurt the chickens either. Any thoughts on the silver?

Quote:
Gotta come from a city slicker
smile.png

I'm probably going to do this too (off of my coop roof, which is made of metal).

However, just something to think about, I asked this question at a rain barrel workshop this weekend and the instructor said to be cautious in collecting water for animals off your roof. Apparently, shingles/roofing materials have some pretty nasty chemicals in them which can be a problem--particularly if your roof is new (which ours is) and hasn't had time for the chemicals to leech off. He didn't say, "Don't do it", just, "Think about your individual situation before you do it."

kublackbird, this is a great point. Our water is collected from the coop roof which is made from corregated plastic material. Hopefully this won't be harmful. The water is stored in a large plastic barrel. I think I may add the ACV to their water as another poster suggested - can't hurt.

You know, I'm not a really nice person, but I think that everyone should be polite on here.
I'm not trying to put anyone down, cause I know that some of this is just said in sport, but
we need to be nice to everyone, cause their just offering their advice (and I mean, we asked
for it!!
smile.png
. Rancher hicks, I'm sure, was not trying to be rude or anything. I personally give my
chickies country well water. It's not the nicest stuff on earth, but I drink it too. My birds are
fine as far as I can tell, but I have no problem with people giving their birdies really clean,
good water, or puddle water.
I love BYC and I hope that everyone will have fun on here but still be polite!!!!
hugs.gif
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom