Is it ok for my young roo to eat layer pellets?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the Pollo Loco, Nov 6, 2009.

1. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Just thoght I'd ask, Is is ok for my young roo to be eating layer pellets that the pullets are eating? or should I remove the roo to a seperate area for feeding? thanks

2. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Roos can eat the layer pellets - no problem.

3. aimeeinwv

aimeeinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say as long as he is 20 wks+ he should be fine. I was told that layer pellets are high in calcium and that Roo's can't digest or whatever they need to do with the calcium if they are too young. Ours eat layers.. plus free range. they are HUGE! and healthy. It'd be hard to keep them from it if you have to feed the hens [​IMG]

4. debtrag

debtrag Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    North Central, Indiana
    What about the ducks (Pekin) that are in the same pen as my hens?

5. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    He will eat what your pullets do and get all the nutrients he needs.
    If you ever want or need to separate him, you could cut your costs by mixing layer with whole corn, scratch and black oil sunflower.
    All our roos are seperated (until we need them) and get this ratio:
    25% layer
    25% whole corn
    25% scratch
    25% black oil sunflower

The cost of the bottom 3 is lower than the layer, but layer is included so we don't have to store and feed a flock raiser or similar just for the ratio of roos to hens in our flocks.

6. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    thanks for the input, the roo is definitely over 20 weeks. I was concerned that it would turn him into a girlie roo or something, that's all. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by