Is It Ok for Roo to Eat Layer Pellets??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickie Mamma, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I have 5 month old girls that I wanted to start on layer pellets, is it ok for the 1 roo to eat the pellets too? If not, how do you separate them to eat when they all live together? I read on here that the calcium levels in the layer feed could cause kidney problems? [​IMG]
    Thanks !

2. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I was concerned about the same thing, so I have two feeders-one for layer feed, and one for flock raiser. That way they can all choose. I also have a small feeder with a mix of oyster shell and crushed egg shells.

3. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    It's okay for the Roo's to eat layer pellets. I believe the feed goes by age of birds rather than the sex of birds. So when the birds hit laying age, you switch to layer feed. All of my birds eat the same feed b/c they are the same age. When I integrate new birds into the flock in the spring the new ones will be separated from the older ones and will eat chick crumbles.

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have never had a problem with the roosters eating layer feed. I mix up 2 50 ln bags of layer crumble with 1 50 lb bag of flock raiser for summer and 2 parts layer crumble to 1 part gamebird feed in the winter with scratch grains available year round as treats.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  5. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks... My 3 pullets and 1 roo are all about 5 months old. He just started crowing. I have separate feeders too, but I see him eating out of the same one as the girls sometimes. As long as the layer feed won't strip him of his "manliness" it should be ok.. [​IMG]
    Thanks again for the responses!!

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    All my roos eat layer pellets. Hasnt hurt them. [​IMG]

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Mine ate them with no problems.

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    All ours get Gamebird feed (choice of formulation weather/molt dependent). We put out free choice oyster shell for the turkey and chicken hens.

If one is planning to keep the roo or toms around for a long time it is better to keep the layer to a minimum.

There is some good inormation on gout in the thread below (scroll down to dlhunicorn's post).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7208

9. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Now if your roo all of a sudden starts laying eggs...then you may have a problem [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by