Is it ok for roosters to eat oyster shells ??/

You pegged our operation and we rotate every 3 years and most roos end up as chicken and dumplings unless it is one we really like like old Hubert. Could be why we have never seen issues I suppose. Hubert is 5 now and still king of the free range yard and like I said for us to try to feed them differently would be very difficult at best. I would still love to see a study related to this if anyone has one showing tests and results leading to damage from eating layer feed.

For all around chicken farming it is fine in my opinion, but as you said breeders do thisgs very differently in many cases.
If you are rotating every 3 years then you might not see much of a problem (unless your really looking for it) since the birds are only on the layer for about 2-1/2 years.

Chris

Likely correct Chris, still I have searched the net for a study showing the effects to roosters ingesting calcium with layer feed and can find nothing but forum posts etc....

I am very interested now and trying to learn more, but most info just mentions it "may" cause issues after several years in some roosters. These are things an aging coot like me never pondered till finding these forums lol. We always just fed them, gave them lots of fresh clean water, oyster shells, kitchen scraps, some scratch, a big area to free range, and don't let them have to sleep in their own poop....

And if we did it all just right we get lots of eggs, screw it up and the laying slows way down in a hurry, especially the water!

Cheers, Bill

Last edited:
Quote:
oh maybe I'm wrong then...
lol.png
learn something new every day

Back
Top Bottom