Is it ok if 2 hens are coparenting??

eighthens525

Chirping
Nov 12, 2019
Bakersville, North Carolina
I have 2 broody girls that are sitting on eggs next to each other in separate nesting boxes. Today is day 21 for one hen and day 9 for the other. They switched this morning and my question is, is that ok? I am not sure if they will switch back but is it ok for the one who was on day 9 to hatch out the other one's chicks today? Do you think the one who has already been sitting for 21 days will finish out the other clutch?

Second part - the first chick hatched this morning but the yolk hasn't totally absorbed yet and it is pretty much out of the shell. Does she have a chance? Thanks!

I have 2 broody girls that are sitting on eggs next to each other in separate nesting boxes. Today is day 21 for one hen and day 9 for the other. They switched this morning and my question is, is that ok? I am not sure if they will switch back but is it ok for the one who was on day 9 to hatch out the other one's chicks today? Do you think the one who has already been sitting for 21 days will finish out the other clutch?

Second part - the first chick hatched this morning but the yolk hasn't totally absorbed yet and it is pretty much out of the shell. Does she have a chance? Thanks!
Yes it can work but with your situation the danger is that both hens will leave their nests once the chicks from the first clutch hatch leaving the eggs in the second nest.

I agree with Shadrach - it is the sound of peeping chicks, and the movement of them under them that flip the broody sitting in a trance to broody up and leading chicks around. However, I would not try and move the nest either. I think I would be tempted to put the hens back in their proper places though.

Not everything lives, take what does and celebrate, coming into the world is tricky, don't feel guilty if some are lost. That is the natural world.

Mrs K

I was searching for some input and this thread seems closest to what I'm needing to try to learn. I'm in my 2nd year of leaving eggs to hatch. Last year we had a cold Spring so the first shot was a no go, but I did have 6 chicks hatch out of two nests last year. This year ( I had a hip operation and moved from one house to the one next door ) so I've been a bit taxed although I've recovered but I'm still swamped with work. The chickens seemed to take this into their own hands and I thought of how I'd learned how much they informed me while watching them mother and decided that was ok with me.

The first clutch was abandoned after a pretty significant cold snap.. so I gave them a day or so to reoccupy but no go... I scooped those eggs. Next they laid a clutch and a veteran mama hopped on while the chickens laid another clutch next door and within a day my banty got involved. The Banty is "low Girl" and the other hen was x low girl long ago but now is bossy and now sleeps on the high perch with the Roo and his head Hen. Then the roosting hens switched nests... Next the other hens laid a third clutch... within a day or two and I thought I'm just going to let them do what I "don't know more about them". Next they started playing musical nests... two chickens in one box... then switching it up... I was getting dizzy trying to "know" what will work and what won't but I've come to trust them in my ignorance which I continually try to diminish... so go ahead please and help me diminish my ignorance... How long can eggs be without a hen and remain viable because one nest had a long "no hen presence" unless I missed something..(which I could have). As I said I've been distracted but trying to let them do their thing... What say you all? Should I candle and will they tolerate that if I wash my hands well? ... I'm not even sure what day we are on but I'm thinking we might be on day 10 for the first nest with the others (2) following by 1 extra day each... Thanks in advance if you can shine a light on me.... " I'll feel like I'm being candled.

How did it go? I had 2 hens sitting on one clutch last summer, and when they hatched it was an absolute disaster. They fought like wild animals over the chicks until one hen had to surrender the chicks, it was heartbreaking. This summer, same situation, same 2 hens, and they are co parenting beautifully. And I actually have a broody hen sitting on the floor right now, so at night all 3 girls cuddle up with the chick (yes, only one chick haha). Lucky little guy has 3 moms, I worry he'll grow up to be spoiled and entitled!

Back
Top Bottom