Is it ok if my chicken crop is empty?

Pics
Oh cool that you live in Canada its really pretty there. I think they sell some mealworms and corn mixed together on Petco. If you don't want to buy that than you can also mix some corn with radish and mealworms and other vegetables. I can make you a list of vegetables and other foods they can eat if you like.
I have ordered scratch (expensive) and layer pellets from Amazon during covid. Be careful with raw rice as it can swell when exposed to fluids inside the body. Cooked or semi-cooked is better under most conditions. It's there. You can also order sunflower seeds online and mix them in, esp in winter. And sometimes I make or buy suet with plenty of fat and seeds of various kinds--maybe even in peanut butter. I think you can order those kinds of things. Good luck.

I'd suggest adding a lot more protein to their diet--like, scrambled or hard-boiled eggs (oh no--are there people on here who argue not to feed their chickens cooked eggs???) I had something similar happen (where our MOST voracious hen/eater, didn't seem to have the most full crop by end of day, as she usually does). I ended up ordering a different pellet AND crumble from Chewy . com, then found a local chicken feed store, then Murdoch's. Once I started feeding mine 21% feed, black sunflower seeds, and a scratch and peck with a WIDE variety of ingredients--I noticed that all of my hens and pullets (born over Quarantine) are all now eating way more. I also started feeding them EVERY tiny scrap of food from our kitchen/meals/fridge--vs. throwing away (unless rotten, not fresh enough, or I can see mold)--including small bits of cooked beef/pork/chicken (OMG did someone yell at me again about feeding my chickens chicken meat??? :) My chickens also LOVE cottage cheese and block/slice cheese--I don't feed them these too often or too much, but again, they're really high in protein, and my hens are hard-core cannibals.

On a sidebar note, I just can NOT believe that y'all Canadians can't get chicken feed shipped to you??? I see this issue mentioned on here VERY frequently! I'm sure that your government has put some type of a freeze on importing certain animal feed, etc.--but, someone should really get on this issue==like, start up a Canadian chicken feed company--you'd get rich!

Back
Top Bottom