Is it ok to feed only scratch to my Roos and turkeys for the winter?

Feed them all purpose feed. Raiser, Game bird, etc. Scratch is fine, but in very, very limited amounts. It is not a complete diet and low in protein, thus, your birds would suffer horrendous feather degrading, imo.

BTW, the whole corn is for winter for heat and not for summer, because the weather is hot, is largely a misunderstanding and of mythical proportions.

Feed them all purpose feed.  Raiser, Game bird, etc.  Scratch is fine, but in very, very limited amounts.  It is not a complete diet and low in protein, thus, your birds would suffer horrendous feather degrading, imo.

BTW, the whole corn is for winter for heat and not for summer, because the weather is hot, is largely a misunderstanding and of mythical proportions.

Oh man! Ok thanks. I just was at the feed store and they were out of poultry feed that i usually give them. So I got scratch. I keep them separate from my hens, as well as true turkeys. I will have to pick some poultry feed tomorrow

I buy the Purina scratch for treats for my girls and it says on the bag "Scratch Grains is a grain supplement, not a complete feed and should not comprise more than 10% of the birds’ diet."

I usually just throw a little on the ground in the morning to encourage them to scratch around and act like chickens.

We met a lady who just fed her flock scratch grains and they were very pathetic; sluggish and zombified, overweight and not chickeny at all. She wondered why they were not laying any eggs. Scratch protein is WAY too low for anything but an occasional treat, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom