Is it ok to free range a pekin duck?

Anasenes

Chirping
May 28, 2018
Northern Illinois
Hello all,
I am still kinda new to ducks, and I have a pekin drake. He tried mounting one of my hens so I split them up, and now I have him as free range. I am working on getting him a few friends, but need to know first, what types of predators will mess with pekin ducks? I don't know if hawks will be an issue or not, and I can put him inside the run at night (its very secure).
Also, if I do need to keep him inside a run, what is an appropriate size?
Thank you ahead of time if you reply to this. My wifi here is not the best, but I will try to reply to you guys as much as I can.

Even though your Pekin may be too large for a hawk to carry away, a hawk can still do a lot of damage. Other predators to be concerned about: fox, raccoon, bobcat, weasel, owl. Let him free range during the day and put him inside the run at night.

Please put him in your secure run and then get him and his new friends a coop of their own . During the day free ranging has its risks but out at night is just feeding the predators .

He goes into a smaller run at night. I would never leave him out with no protection. I am working on getting him a friend, but have to take care of a few things first. Also, thanks for the replies

Back
Top Bottom