Is it ok to handle your new chicks?

wowdaddy

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
One of my Buff Orpingtons loves to be in my hands. She jumped out of the box the other day and walked over to wear i was sitting. Scared the heck out of me because i have a small dog. I put a chicken wire top on the box so she can't do that again. All I do is put my hand in there box (it's not really a box but a metal tub) and they will walk right up to my hand and perch on my thumb. The other day I walked around the house with a chick in my front shirt pocket. When I put her back she looked right at me with an out streached neck and watched me walk away. As soon as I returned she was the first to walk up to the side of the tub and look up. Am I doing something wrong by handling her so much? Could it lead to trouble?

I think the more you handle them the more socialized they will be. I have a friend with an Easter egger that is a house chicken. She hand raised it from day one and now it sits on her shoulder as a perch while she works from home. She's taught it to use a "doggie door" to go outside to do business, and it sleeps at night roosting in the master bedroom! They're just like people with different personalities. I only hope to have chicks that want to jump into my hand for attention!
big_smile.png

I handle all my chicks ALOT! They seem to look forward to seeing me and it's great because they will come running when I call them. This is really handy because I let them free range during the day, and they come when called to go back into the protection of the enclosed coop and run at dusk.

I just LOVE a tame chicken. They are very curious funny little individuals!

Ooohhhh, pocket peeps
love.gif
Like ChickenToes said, be gentle and make sure she stays warm--also don't keep her out so long at any one time that she doesn't eat/drink enough. It sounds like you're well on your way to lap chickens.

welcome-byc.gif

it is ok. In fact, it is best to handle them a lot. Just make sure your hands are clean. I read it was best to just clean your hands with warm water and to not use soap. The more you handle your chicks, the more social they will be when they get older. Enjoy your peeps!
wink.png

Quote:
Haha, wow I wish she was on this forum, I would love to see those pictures and hear how she trained that chicken.

No, I don't think you are heading for trouble
smile.png
One day I want a tame chicken that is my buddy but for now most of my chicks can't be fussed with me. Maybe if I had smaller hatches they would become more friendly, I'm not sure. My first hatch I had one chick, Hansel, that would run to us and jump on our hands when we reached into the brooder. It was cute until her claws started getting really sharp lol. She would try to climb all over you... I put her on my shoulder one day and within one minute she had laid two huge poops on me. I have not had the nerve to repeat that terrible experience lol! My second hatch, my favourite was starting to do that but my hunny accidentally sold her so we dont have her anymore. I don't have a special bird who loves to be around me, they are all using me for my food.
tongue.gif

Thank you everyone. I really thought i was doing the right thing but I don't want to hurt these beautiful little birds. Ok I'm a guy and I know I should be like more macho or what ever. This bird has my heart already. I really think that when I look at her she looks back and we do regard each other. It makes me want to talk to her. The other day i was singing good day sunshine by the beatles. My wife looked on and laughs. I will continue to handle her with total regard for her well being. I think I have a new buddy. Now if i can just get my rabbit off my legg. We are having some March maddness.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom