Is it ok to have a bantam rooster and large hens?

annette964

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 2, 2015
Missouri
I have a bantam rooster, no hens yet. I was planning on getting a variety of hens for him. Would it be ok to get everything from a Jersey Giant hen to a samll bantam hen and have a mixed flock? Would they be likely to get along with each other or would they be likely to have problems? I intend to llow my hens to free range during the day and put them in a coop at night. Are there breeds that are less suitable for free ranging (predator wise)? Although my coop is very near my home I don't always hear what s happening right outside, in fact before I lost my whole flock several years ago due to predators. I am hoping having the new secure coop will make the difference. I would also like hens that are as friendly as possible whle still predator wary, if that is possible. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

I will post a few pictures of my rooster to give you an idea of his size and breed and just because I am s fond of him. He has lived here several years without other chickens for company. Poor guy.

Here he is coing up my side steps to jump/ fly into a tree for night roosting.

and this just for sizing him

Back
Top Bottom