1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it ok to have a bantam rooster and large hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by annette964, Feb 3, 2015.

1. annette964

annette964 Just Hatched

Feb 2, 2015
    Missouri
    I have a bantam rooster, no hens yet. I was planning on getting a variety of hens for him. Would it be ok to get everything from a Jersey Giant hen to a samll bantam hen and have a mixed flock? Would they be likely to get along with each other or would they be likely to have problems? I intend to llow my hens to free range during the day and put them in a coop at night. Are there breeds that are less suitable for free ranging (predator wise)? Although my coop is very near my home I don't always hear what s happening right outside, in fact before I lost my whole flock several years ago due to predators. I am hoping having the new secure coop will make the difference. I would also like hens that are as friendly as possible whle still predator wary, if that is possible. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

I will post a few pictures of my rooster to give you an idea of his size and breed and just because I am s fond of him. He has lived here several years without other chickens for company. Poor guy.

[​IMG]

Here he is coing up my side steps to jump/ fly into a tree for night roosting.
    [​IMG]

and this just for sizing him
    [​IMG]

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Yes. Many people have bantam roos with large fowl girls. They'll be fine.

3. Adeth Chicken

Adeth Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2015
    Jacksonville Florida
    Our half pound Bantam roo doesn't have a problem with our australorp, ten times his size just about.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

They will all just work out the pecking order.

I had the same situation, it was funny seeing the bantam rooster boss the much larger hens...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by