Is it "OK" to keep a Rooster from a straight run and allow breeding?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Blackburn, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Blackburn

Blackburn New Egg

Apr 18, 2010
    Indiana County, PA
    I recently started keeping chickens and have dumb question. Is it alright to keep a rooster from a batch of straight run chicks and allow him to breed? Or should I get another rooster from a different source to prevent the chance of inbreeding? Like I said I'm new this and I'd like to get some(or all) fertile eggs and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot. I did look around a good bit and couldn't find any info on this subject. Maybe it's no problem at all but I just had to know.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It is certainly fine to keep a "straight run" rooster in the same flock.

Another BYC member posted, once: "When you think of the hundreds of thousands of chicks that hatcheries produce, the chances of any 4 chicks being related is absolutely minimal. Even if they happened to be related, inbreeding in poultry is not a problem."

Another wrote, "Inbreeding is greatly misunderstood. Inbreeding does not automatically cause inferior traits to show up."

And yet a third wrote, "Inbreeding is not at all unusual in chickens. It is how the champion birds at the shows are developed."

I hope this puts your mind at rest. ;-)

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, no problem. Use the "search" utility for past threads on inbreeding if you want more on the subject, but as gryeyes says, your birds are probably not *that* closely related to begin with and inbreeding is unlikely to be a problem in poultry for at least a couple generations (even in worst case scenario).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. Blackburn

Blackburn New Egg

Apr 18, 2010
    Indiana County, PA
    Thanks for the answers, I figured there really wasn't that great a chance the birds are closely related but I just couldn't help wondering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by