Is it ok to pen a rooster?

I know that, I was just trying to think of a way he could not be culled for being overprotective.

(talking to OP here) @ThatTeowonna, how exactly is he 'aggressive'?
It’s been almost a week since I realized that my hen is a rooster, which I never wanted. He has pecked me a time or two very hard and he’s kept the newcomer chicks (one of which I now think may have been missexed and is an Ameraucana rooster instead of a hen) from eating. And he pulls the feathers of the newest hen. But now that I’ve grown to accept him, I think I will keep him. He’s a juvenile and I hope he will grow to become one of these great roosters lve been reading so much about. So to answer your question, I guess his level of aggression is acceptable. He hadn’t pecked me since I poked him back. And he’s been easing up on the newcomers.

It’s been almost a week since I realized that my hen is a rooster, which I never wanted. He has pecked me a time or two very hard and he’s kept the newcomer chicks (one of which I now think may have been missexed and is an Ameraucana rooster instead of a hen) from eating. And he pulls the feathers of the newest hen. But now that I’ve grown to accept him, I think I will keep him. He’s a juvenile and I hope he will grow to become one of these great roosters lve been reading so much about. So to answer your question, I guess his level of aggression is acceptable. He hadn’t pecked me since I poked him back. And he’s been easing up on the newcomers.
I've found with young roosters, especially as soon as their hormones kick in, they tend to not be very nice. But if you make sure they know your boss, and as they figure out to be a good rooster they can become very sweet. I wish you the best of luck with your little man.

If he's just being a "hormonal teenage boy" you could try to separate him until your girls are older. But if he's genuinely mean to the others, or if he's people aggressive, I don't think I would keep him :(
Thank you for that. I think it just took a while for me to get used to him. I think you are right. He just needs to get used to his rights as a rooster and learn to take it easier. One thing I’ve noticed, though, one of the older hens stands up to him and won’t let him be too mean to the younger chick. I thought that was pretty interesting.

I have a Barred bantam cochin that I purchased as a day old. I called him "the spawn of satan" on numerous occasions. His aggression started because he didn't have enough room. He would bite me as hard as he could and broke skin every time. I kept him, gave him (and all of my birds) more space and he was still a jerk. I started letting him free range and now he is the sweetest guy here. He comes to greet my work clients, knocks on my shop door with his beak or crows at the door, begging for a treat like a dog. He's a bantam though and that makes a huge difference to me.

I have a Barred bantam cochin that I purchased as a day old. I called him "the spawn of satan" on numerous occasions. His aggression started because he didn't have enough room. He would bite me as hard as he could and broke skin every time. I kept him, gave him (and all of my birds) more space and he was still a jerk. I started letting him free range and now he is the sweetest guy here. He comes to greet my work clients, knocks on my shop door with his beak or crows at the door, begging for a treat like a dog. He's a bantam though and that makes a huge difference to me.
He has truly calmed down. Ultimately, I had to change the lens that I view him through. I hope he will turn out to be a sweet guy like yours. Happy Thanksgiving

Good to hear that you may be able to work it out. There is a good article on dealing with natural dominant behavior in Roos. Worth a read. Basically, key points I've read are: carry protection and don't back down, walk right past him. Some say to stomp or hit the ground with something as you see him staring and preparing a possible attack...and don't turn your back on him. If needed run him out of the Henhouse a couple times to show him who is boss.,..smacking a stick on the ground hard to let him know you mean business, Don't try to pin him down, that's for dogs - NOT Roos.

Alternatives would to be to sell, trade or gift him to someone who knows how to train a Cockerel to accept all your family as off limits for dominance games. How many Hens do you have? Probably need more than a dozen, maybe 20 for 2 Roos. Perhaps 2 areas? There may be skirmishes, but perhaps everyone can adapt. GL!

He has truly calmed down. Ultimately, I had to change the lens that I view him through. I hope he will turn out to be a sweet guy like yours. Happy Thanksgiving
That's great news! I hope he turns out to be a true gentleman. It's so difficult to gauge a cockerel. I have 2 big guys that are human aggressive and I've tried everything with absolutely no improvements. It's nerve-wracking, especially when you think about safety for everyone involved. I wish you the very best with your flock and a happy and blessed Thanksgiving

Thank you for that. I think it just took a while for me to get used to him. I think you are right. He just needs to get used to his rights as a rooster and learn to take it easier. One thing I’ve noticed, though, one of the older hens stands up to him and won’t let him be too mean to the younger chick. I thought that was pretty interesting.
If you have a few adult hens, they can do a pretty good job keeping a rowdy boy in line. :smack :D

I think it just took a while for me to get used to him. I think you are right. He just needs to get used to his rights as a rooster and learn to take it easier. One thing I’ve noticed, though, one of the older hens stands up to him and won’t let him be too mean to the younger chick. I thought that was pretty interesting.
...and did he back down from the older hen?

He has truly calmed down. Ultimately, I had to change the lens that I view him through.
I love this!!

Very astute observations.

Back
Top Bottom