Is It Ok to Rinse A Poopie Egg?

ok to wash eggs, just use warm water or bacteria can enter through the pores. make sure eggs are dry before puttin in the frig.

Ah, thanks so much, I thought the water used to rinse needed to be the same temp as the egg. Warm water works better. I will use warm water to rinse. Thanks again..
thumbsup.gif

I saw that noone mentioned this so I will add my two cents here.

We have a lovely Aracuana that thinks the nest box area is pretty warm and likes to stay there all day so I also have had quite a few dirty eggs.

What we do is get a fine grit sandpaper and just rub the dirty spots off as best we can. If the egg is super dirty I usually fix them up for the dog.

Quote:
Thanks... I have heard about the sandpaper, but I still thought it was pretty gross
sickbyc.gif

There are so many different answers
th.gif

I will use the sandpaper on the ones that are not that bad. Most of the time, when I collect the eggs, they are fresh and the "poopie" is sill soft on them. I get most of it off with just a paper towel, but it is still nasty!

Quote:
Thanks... we are not sick either so I guess its ok. I have been rinsing for about a year until I came on here and saw alot of different opinions. Still, alot of different opinions. But its good to know that everyone has tried something different and it has worked for them also.

Quote:
Thanks... we are not sick either so I guess its ok. I have been rinsing for about a year until I came on here and saw alot of different opinions. Still, alot of different opinions. But its good to know that everyone has tried something different and it has worked for them also.

I have read other threads on this topic, and the one thing I see consistantly is to use water warmer than the egg. We use a warm water with anti bacterial soap before we fridge and sell our eggs.

I cant imagine that sandpaper would be a great idea, believe it or not, it may actualy cause the bacteria to become airborne, and then you would breath it, or get the powder into your food! Eeewww!

The only time you shouldnt wash eggs, is if you plan to incubate and hatch them, that is when a wash may be harmful, as it could possibly transmit something thru the shell (thru the millions of little pores) into the little fetus.

This is all info I have read in other BYC threads over the months.

I couldnt imagine the amount of bacteria that could come off an unwashed egg.... Blech....

well, a friend of mine who works on a chicken farm, not battery cages, truly free range (a site to see when you have 400+ RIR's coming toward you for treats!) told me that you shouldn't refrigerate fresh eggs and they can stay on the counter for up to 11 days. Is that true or should I be refrigerating them (like I did when I first got the girls)
hu.gif

Well, to be honest, I often let our eggs sit by the sink until I have a couple days worth, and the time to wash them all! We have a fairly strick policy that only washed eggs go in the fridge or cartons (for sale) and unwashed eggs sit out on the counter, til I wash them.... (nobody else bothers) But we always go into the fridge for ones to eat... I wont break open an egg I havent washed. I have looked down too many microscopes at bacteria cultures to be willing to do that!!
hmm.png

I havent gotten sick from any eggs that sat out, and some have sat out for most of a week, when I was sick once.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom