1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it OK to use permethrin on young chicks? Should *I* use some??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mangobingo, Dec 12, 2010.

1. mangobingo

mangobingo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Our little silkie just hatched her first chick yesterday, but unfortunately she seems to have developed a bad mite infestation while she was sitting on the egg. I found mites on myself after I picked her up to move her to a more secure area after the chick hatched. I think they're mites - they're so small it's hard to see any details on them, which doesn't sound like lice from what I've read on the internet. I'd like to dust the hen and the chick with permethrin, but is it OK to do that with such a tiny chick? Any other suggestions?

Also, I've spent a *lot* of time in the shower since I got those horrible things on me. They can't live on humans permanently... can they??

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    My opinion is to go for it... Because mites will kill your chick.. I know because I just lost a 5 day old silkie chick yesterday from mites.. I had no clue they had them.. I had checked them only a few days prior and didn't see any.. So you could do no worse harm by treating it..

I took a hot shower afterwards too!! But from what I read, no, the mites will not live on you. They prefer chickens. Thank goodness!!!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  3. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

When I had a problem with fleas on the farm, I bought a bottle of dog flea spray. Used it in my house and on myself. Problem solved, though probably not in compliance with the labeling.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Permethrin should be safe on them.

5. slickchik

slickchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern California
    I had a similar issue with lice. I dusted the momma hen only. The babies were dusted by default when they went under the momma's wings. Use it... those bugs will kill your chicks.

6. mangobingo

mangobingo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Right then, we'll do it first thing in the morning, and the rest of the flock as well. We've given the mother hen a little ivermectin, which seems to have helped, but I'm still finding a few mites on her. I'm guessing that the mites will be moving between mother and baby a bit as the chick is under her wing, so ma's ivermectin will kill some of the chick's mites as well.

Chicken Lytle - LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by