Is it okay for a hen to sleep in a nesting box?

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
WE just moved the lower roost to a new spot and when we finished I forgot that my one silkie cant jump that high and I was going to place her on until I could get it lower but she gave up from tiring to get on and is now sleeping in the nesting box while all the other standards are on the top roost. She wouldn't come out so I just sat there with her for a little bit and still did not get her out. Is it okay for her to sleep there hopefully for ONE night?

Update: we just fixed and lowered the roost and I'm pretty sure she can get up there but she decided to sleep on the nesting box again. I picked her up placed her on the lower one but she wanted to jump off so I placed her on the top one. Why is she still doing this? I know she liked sleeping by the window but since we moved it, shes not by the window. Is she being stubborn? Lol or should I keep placing her until she gets it.

Update: we just fixed and lowered the roost and I'm pretty sure she can get up there but she decided to sleep on the nesting box again. I picked her up placed her on the lower one but she wanted to jump off so I placed her on the top one. Why is she still doing this? I know she liked sleeping by the window but since we moved it, shes not by the window. Is she being stubborn? Lol or should I keep placing her until she gets it.
Good work and keep at it. You can also block the nest boxes at night, removing the barrier in early AM if they're laying.

Good work and keep at it. You can also block the nest boxes at night, removing the barrier in early AM if they're laying.
Thank you! Idk if I can block the nesting boxes because she lays before I even get out there lol. Hopefully she can get the idea that she has to be on the roost. I hope she starts to like the lower roost instead of jumping off but well see.

Update she is still sleeping in the nesting box but I place her on top. Since I've been putting her on top they've been treating her better. Havent seen her get picked on by them like she usually did. She is still skittish with them but shell grow. Lol. But should I move the roost or add something? Idk

I have an ameracauna who sleeps in a nesting box, too. I tried for a month to get her to roost with the other chickens but she's got more willpower than me. She doesn't poop in the box, and gets out at dawn. Could be that she likes to beat the other chickens to the feeder and pasture.

It hasn't caused a problem so I'm letting her have her way.

Back
Top Bottom