Is it okay if water is not available at night?

Dooner

Songster
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Coop question: can I have water only in the run? That means when the pop door is closed at night they won't have access to any water. I am also thinking about using those auto water cups, does anyone use them? I can't figure out what all you need to get in addition to the cups and brackets. I want to use a five gallon plastic pail with a lid and mount it to the back of the coop with one cup in the coop and then one or two under the coop (coop israised 18" off the gound.) I only have four hens.

If they are under 6 weeks of age they need water and food 24/7.

I don't have water in my coop. But I let them out by 7 am (earlier when I don't have roosters).

If you cannot get out there VERY early then I would keep water in the coop, for sure.

Also if you have hot weather I would keep water in the coop. I will probably put a waterer in there over the summer, depends. We have weird weather here.
smile.png

I don't think the day will ever come when I will beat my chickens out of bed. They are day people, I'm a night person. Both of my coops have waterers in them and I've never had a problem as a result of those waterers.

My older birds have an automatic pop door so technically they could get out pretty early and get a drink from outside if they wanted, but no one ever has to leave the coops for thirst nor hunger.

Well, they will survive. They'll run for the water when you let them out, but they will survive. Once my mom forgot the let them out in the morning, they went without water until 5PM at night. Put the water back in the coop that day.

Quote:
I guess I am trying to stay away from the mess if I put it in the coop, but It sounds like I probably should figure something out. I am thinking about those auto water cups. You have to order five at a time. I just can't figure out what all I need to get besides the cups and brackets.

Hello! I had this same question. I've always kept food and water in the coop at night, but started to wonder if it was necessary. My personal research was that (having water inside and out), when I would let them out in the morning, nobody seemed to head for the water...so what would happen if they didn't have access to water at night? I decided to leave the food for now, but did remove the water for several nights, around 8pm when I shut them in. I watched carefully when they came out the next morning at 7am (well, for several mornings, before I made my final decision) and still, nobody ran straight for the water, (even though they'd had no access all night) so it did not seem they were imminently thirsty. So for now, the water stays outside. When the nights get very hot, I may put it back in till the nights gets cooler again.

As for food...i think it is more of a personal choice. Your chickens will not go hungry, and starve if they do not have access to food at night, as long as they are fed properly during the day... Buuuuut... I know sometimes late at night...that bowl of icecream or ENTIRE bag of popcorn is calling me....even though I've eaten my dinner earlier...and...I've got to have it
smile.png
So.. i personally leave the food in so the girls can grab a bite if they choose. (Honestly though, never seen/heard one get off her roost to eat once she's gone to bed.

-Jessa

Quote:
I guess I am trying to stay away from the mess if I put it in the coop, but It sounds like I probably should figure something out. I am thinking about those auto water cups. You have to order five at a time. I just can't figure out what all I need to get besides the cups and brackets.

You will need the water delivery system (hoses, pvc piping, etc.) and a water supply. If you plan to attach this directly to a hose, your probably going to need a low pressure regulator. Don't believe you'll need one if going from a 5 gallon bucket though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom