Is it Okay to Feed Bread to Chickens and Ducks?

pHENtHOUSE

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 27, 2013
We have 28 chickens and 3 ducks. they get 5 grain scratch and a crumble laying mix all the time. I have been getting day old bread and giving them 2 or 3 loafs a day and they love it. Someone just told me that chickens can't have bread!!! What they Hay - I've been feeding them this since they were old enough to be put out in the pen so I'm hoping it's not bad for them.

They also get oyster shells, free range when we're home, greens and veggies, plants from the garden and slugs & snails we find. They love lettuce!

I have had one Turken get egg bound but that's to BYC web site, after a hot bath and massage she was fine. Wow! After reading this - I think I should be one of my chickens! Free food and bath & massage! Can't get much better than that! So that said, my chickens seem healthy and happy except for some purchased chicken but that's another post!

Does anyone else feed bread?

Yes, just not in large amounts. It doesn't have much nutritional value for them, so it shouldn't make up a bulk of their diet.

We feed it quite a bit since you can get out of code bread here as animal bread. Of course it is not a balanced diet and I know the various additives and preservatives drive some people crazy, but the birds love it and it is useful as a filler to cut protein levels along with other grains in moderation. It is usually around 8-10% protein so about the same as corn/oats.

I've fed bread on and off, it doesn't hurt them at all. It's wheat, for heaven's sake, pretty much the same thing their feed is made up of. I walk out with a loaf of bread and I have all the animals begging for some--dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, horses, goats and pigs.

I also feed my birds *gasp* moldy bread. It's never hurt them. I know, folks here will swear if a bird sees moldy bread they'll fall down dead, but apparently my flock never got that memo. Just like my dogs never got the memo that chocolate or grapes will kill them
idunno.gif

Thank you all for your input. I was at a quandry because they have gotten bread as and add-on to their feed since April and no problems but when the new batch started showing unhealthy signs I had a moment of dought.

Donrae: Too funny! My dog picks her own grapes and berries and she's 14 years old! I do shy from chocolate but if she gets a chocolate chip cookie I don't panic. Thanks again!

I've fed bread on and off, it doesn't hurt them at all. It's wheat, for heaven's sake, pretty much the same thing their feed is made up of. I walk out with a loaf of bread and I have all the animals begging for some--dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, horses, goats and pigs.

I also feed my birds *gasp* moldy bread. It's never hurt them. I know, folks here will swear if a bird sees moldy bread they'll fall down dead, but apparently my flock never got that memo. Just like my dogs never got the memo that chocolate or grapes will kill them
idunno.gif
I don't freak if they have a little bit of mold either. And...grapes are harmful to dogs?! Huh. My dog never read that rule book.

idunno.gif
Hi I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if GF bread is ok for chickens? I know there is stuff like xanthum gum in it so that’s why I’m asking.

idunno.gif
I agree...... I think people worry too much. With that said, I'm not sure if chocolate is good for your dog (although mine at half a chocolate bar and lived to tell).

Back
Top Bottom