Is it okay to feed chickens Honey or (cooked) eggs?

ChOOkens

►ChOOken In A Box◄
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Australia
I havn't fed chickens any of these, just curious.
I have only had my chooks for ten weeks, i'm still learning.
big_smile.png

Honey
I don't know why i'm asking if I can feed them honey, even if it was OK I probably wouldn't feed it to them. Just curious.

Eggs
I know not to feed them raw eggs but i am slightly afraid that if I feed them scrambled eggs or fried eggs or something they might start to break their own eggs open for the yolk. Just curious.

Thanks!!
smile.png
smile.png

Last edited:
Don't know about the honey thing, But eggs are good for them. Hard boiled ones all mashed up or scrambled eggs. The chickens don't know what the eggs look like after they are cooked. They don't know that that mushy stuff you are feeding them came out of their eggs. As long as the eggs don't resemble eggs when you give them to them its okay. You can also dry and crush up the egg shells really fine and feed those bake to them also, for the calcium.

Thanks for that! Seeing as it's good for them I can feed to them once in a while.
Your information is greatly appreciated.
smile.png
smile.png

Oh hell yeah they love eggs. Mine think im the best guy around when I scramble them up some....lil chicken football at its best

Sometimes I make a big batch of scrambled eggs and mix the crushed shell in- they love it!

I've fed the girlies hard boiled eggs. I'll reserve some for them when I'm making egg or potato salad. They love it!

But, I have a scrambled egg question -

Are you making scrambled eggs just for your chickens, or are you feeding them your leftovers from breakfast?

When I'm making scrambled eggs for breakfast, I'm using butter, salt and pepper, and cheese.

Can I really feed those leftovers to the girlies?

The butter and salt isn't recommended. Too much salt is bad for chicks. A note about the shells. It's fine to feed them shells for calcuim but not until they start laying. Excess calcium can cause severe health problems in growing chicks. I've been saving egg shells for a couple of months and i'm waiting for that first egg before i feed it. Honey is fine for weak young chicks if they need a little boost in energy but it can cause pastybutt so i wouldn't give it more than a day or two.

when I make them eggs I make a batch for them first so I can throw it into the fridge and cool down a bit. no butter or salt....just a little pam

Quote:
Well I havn't fed any eggs to them but I thought maybe I could feed to to them like 2 times a month as a treat.... I was just curious whether it was alright.
smile.png

Becareful when you feed ANYTHING to your girls that it doesn;t have too much salt in it, it's not good for them.

Thanks everyone for the advice!!
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom