Is it okay to give cold, wet feed to chickens in the winter?

JuliaSunshine

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
West coast Canada
I give my chickens wet layer's feed and they eat it in the afternoon and the next morning.
The feed doesn't get frozen yet but I'm wondering if it's not good for them to eat cold and wet food first thing in the morning.
Or, is it okay as long as it's not frozen?

It is ok.

I've added hot water to the feed for mine, thinking it would be nice for them. I can't see any evidence that they care. They will check it out (look and/or taste) as they do for cold food whether it is dry or wet. They often take a few bites and leave it until it is cold. They don't avoid it; just treat it the same as they do cold food.

I haven't tried each at the same time in different bowls.

I'll still give them warm food sometimes so it stays unfrozen longer and because it makes me happy. But I don't feel bad when they don't have it because I really don't think they care.

I hope it's okay because now that I'm fermenting the feed, it is wet. I feed in the morning as much as they will eat within a couple of hours. They forage first thing in the morning, and later after feed. I feed again before bed. When the snow falls I'll have to feed again. Since they gobble everything up that they can, they are eating what they want before it freezes. However, I will soon be feeding them wet in the morning, then putting out dry feed, then finishing the day with wet again.

Back
Top Bottom