Is it okay to keep a rooster's sisters in his flock for breeding?

That's good.
Sexlinked in which way?
The one that I know definitely is sexlinked is sexlinked by skin color and feather color. Cuckoo light skin hen x non cuckoo dark skin rooster. She has a full brother from the same batch that is a cuckoo with light skin. The other two I think might be full siblings to the first one judging by the fact all 3 are blue. I think my cuckoo hen might be a blue cuckoo, but I'm not 100% sure, cause my rooster could be hiding blue (he's a dominant white). Though none of the chicks from this rooster and my brahma hens (isabel and pencilled partridge or silver partridge I think) have been blue. The rest of my silkie hens are black. Either way all 3 have black skin.

The one that I know definitely is sexlinked is sexlinked by skin color and feather color. Cuckoo light skin hen x non cuckoo dark skin rooster. She has a full brother from the same batch that is a cuckoo with light skin. The other two I think might be full siblings to the first one judging by the fact all 3 are blue. I think my cuckoo hen might be a blue cuckoo, but I'm not 100% sure, cause my rooster could be hiding blue (he's a dominant white). Though none of the chicks from this rooster and my brahma hens (isabel and pencilled partridge or silver partridge I think) have been blue. Either way all 3 have black skin.
Okay.
You can always test if your Cuckoo is a blue Cuckoo.

Breed to black.
Oh, I'm planning to do so. These new chicks that I bought from the breeder (that I'm hoping to get a rooster from) are all black. I'm planning on making a BBS + paint flock. I just need to wait until they grow up. By that point I will know if those 3 are pullets. It wouldn't hurt to know if she's a blue cuckoo though. Would adding a picture of her maybe help? At least in telling if she's definitely not a blue cuckoo or if she could be.

Oh, I'm planning to do so. These new chicks that I bought from the breeder (that I'm hoping to get a rooster from) are all black. I'm planning on making a BBS + paint flock. I just need to wait until they grow up. By that point I will know if those 3 are pullets. It wouldn't hurt to know if she's a blue cuckoo though. Would adding a picture of her maybe help? At least in telling if she's definitely not a blue cuckoo or if she could be.
It may help, though the barring pattern lightens the black abit, so it maybe hard to tell, for certain.

It may help, though the barring pattern lightens the black abit, so it maybe hard to tell, for certain.
She looked pretty blue as a chick. Her son for example hatched out black with a cuckoo spot on his head and his feathers are now black with white. No doubt it's black. Way darker than the hen.

Attachments

• Untitled160_20220615103548.png
    Untitled160_20220615103548.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230321_171715.jpg
    20230321_171715.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230129_143320.jpg
    20230129_143320.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230421_190220.jpg
    20230421_190220.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230418_151542.jpg
    20230418_151542.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220723_171124.jpg
    20220723_171124.jpg
    884.2 KB · Views: 2
The chances that all of your eggs came from the same hen is kinda low, they might have the same father though. So they'd be half siblings. Two of my hens look like identical twins and the other from the same breed looks almost like a different breed altogether. Acts different too enough so that obviously both parents were different from the other two.

Back
Top Bottom